'Voice of the Auburn Tigers' Rod Bramblett and wife Paula killed in car accident

Rod Bramblett talks with head football coach Gus Malzahn during a "Tiger Talk" radio show in 2013. (Photo contributed by Auburn Athletics)

UPDATE 12:10 — Rod Bramblett, the "Voice of the Auburn Tigers," and his wife Paula both died from injuries sustained in a two-vehicle accident Saturday evening in Auburn, according to Lee County Coroner Bill Harris.

"Paula Bramblett died at 7:50 PM in the emergency room of East Alabama Medical Center from multiple internal injuries and Rod Bramblett, known as the 'Voice of the Auburn Tigers,' died at UAB Hospital in Birmingham from a severe closed head injury," read a statement from Harris.

The accident occurred on Shug Jordan Parkway at the intersection of West Samford Avenue Saturday evening shortly after 6 p.m., police said. 

A 16-year-old's Jeep Grand Cherokee struck the rear of the Bramblett's Highlander, according to police. 

The name of the 16-year-old driver is not being released at this time, Harris said.

"The driver of the Highlander," Rod Bramblett, "was transported to EAMC and then airlifted by helicopter to UAB Hospital in Birmingham with critical injuries," according to Harris. 

"The passenger," Paula Bramblett, "was airlifted from the scene but had to be diverted to EAMC due to the severity of her injuries and died in the emergency from her injuries shortly after arrival there," according to Harris.

The driver of the other vehicle "was taken by ambulance to EAMC emergency room with non-life-threatening injuries," according to Harris.

The statement released by Harris said alcohol was not a factor in the accident. The accident remains under investigation by the Lee County Coroner's Office and Auburn Police Division.

Bramblett broadcasted Auburn games since 1993, and he was the lead Auburn broadcaster since 2003. Bramblett was named Alabama Sportscaster of the Year in 2006, 2010 and 2013.

He was named Sports Illustrated’s Sports Broadcaster of the Year in 2013, which was the year of his unforgettable call during Auburn's “Kick Six” win against Alabama.

He graduated from Auburn in 1988. The Brambletts have two children, daughter Shelby and son Joshua.

The Plainsman will continue to follow and update this story. 

Share and discuss “'Voice of the Auburn Tigers' Rod Bramblett and wife Paula killed in car accident” on social media.