City Council approves SkyBar expansion

Skybar Cafe on Wed, Feb 27. , 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

On Tuesday night, City Council approved the resolution for SkyBar Cafe to expand its balcony. 

Ward 4 Council member Brett Smith asked about projectiles being thrown off the balcony onto unsuspecting pedestrians.

“If anyone throws anything off [the balcony], they’re banned for life,” said Pat Grider, co-owner of SkyBar Cafe. “We have a no-mess-up policy.”

The balcony extension will also feature a waterfall wall, which will be useful to deaden noise generated by balcony occupants, Grider said. The balcony will not have amplified music or entertainment, instead offering a space for patrons to relax, away from the activities downstairs.

Every Council member voted to approve the resolution except for Ward 2 Council member Kelley Griswold and Ward 8 Council member Tommy Dawson, who both abstained.

“My personal convictions are such that I can’t support any more growth of alcohol establishments in downtown Auburn,” Dawson said. “It’s their right to do it since they’re doing it by the book. I’ve seen too much abuse of alcohol in downtown Auburn as it is, and I feel that we have a problem with that.”

Council also approved a development agreement for The Hub on Campus, which is planned to be built on West Glenn Avenue.

Griswold asked about a timeline for construction, as the wording of the agreement allows for ten years of construction. City Manager Jim Buston confirmed that construction projects typically take two years, and the developers expect to follow a similar timeline.

Mockup plans for the Skybar balcony expansion.

Tower cranes have been approved for the construction site, but the cranes are only permitted to work over the site itself and the City’s right-of-way. The developers have also agreed to pay to widen sidewalks and increase sewage capacity at the development site, among other improvements.

The development agreement does not allow long-term closures on Glenn Avenue, but the length of time was not defined as any less than the entire length of the project. Sidewalk closures could take weeks, Buston said. The City also requires a two-week notice before any requested road closures.

Council also approved AuburnBank’s plans for a parking garage on North Gay Street. Every Council member voted to approve except for Ward 7 Council member Jay Hovey, who abstained due to his employment with AuburnBank.

A resident expressed concerns about plans for an outdoor pool at the Lake Wilmore Community Center. He mentioned Auburn’s lack of an indoor pool that could be used for competitions year-round. He also discussed the pool’s potential location on the property and the City’s investments into similar projects.

The proposed pool would share a road entrance with Ogletree Elementary School, which the citizen cited as potentially dangerous for the children.

“The idea of an indoor pool is something that has been wildly discussed at [previous City Councils],” said Mayor Ron Anders. “The Council has heard me say this for a number of weeks, but at the time [when the Parks and Rec Master Plan was adopted], there was a health club that was considered in our inventory of things our citizens enjoyed participating in.”

The proposal for the pool was unanimously approved by Council, though specific plans will be drafted at a later date.

During the Citizen’s Open Forum, Lindbergh Jackson inquired about recognizing public officials of color in observance of Black History Month. Anders agreed, stating he had not thought of the idea.

Ward 1 Council member Connie Fitch-Taylor stated that the Northwest Auburn Task Force is working on a similar project to highlight unsung heroes from the Auburn community. This project would not be ready until April or May, however. The project would also encompass all minorities.

“There have been some fantastic African American leaders that have served our community,” Anders said. “I’m sure the conversations were harder to have; I’m sure the anxiety was larger; I’m sure there was more consternation and there was more difficulty in making decisions. Valuating that and recognizing that is certainly worthwhile.”

Also, during City Council, the moratorium on student housing was approved and the resolution to support Opelika in its opposition to the quarry was approved. 

During the March 3 City Council session, the Council will vote on raising compensation for the mayor and for Council members.

Share and discuss “City Council approves SkyBar expansion” on social media.