Office of the Provost elaborates on satisfactory, unsatisfactory grading system

Students will be allowed to convert letter grades to an SP, SS or UU following final grades.

<p>The COVID-19 outbreak has seen many University operations altered in response.</p>

The COVID-19 outbreak has seen many University operations altered in response.

Following the announcement that the University will be adopting a “satisfactory/unsatisfactory,” or “S/U,” grading system for the spring semester in light of the COVID-19 outbreak that caused campus to close, new details from the Office of the Provost state that students will be allowed to convert letter grades to an SP, SS or UU following final grades.

Transcripts making use of the alternate system will define SP and SS grades as “satisfactory,” while UU grades will be considered “unsatisfactory,” the provost’s office said. Students may convert any letter grade to its S/U equivalent for any class, but this will be managed by University advisors rather than individual instructors.

“Students are not required to inform faculty of their intention to convert a grade but may consult with faculty about any implications for future plans,” the provost’s office said.

The SP grade corresponds to a C or higher for undergraduate and professional classes or B or higher for graduate-level courses. Classes with this grade will be credited toward core, major, minor and certificate requirements, the provost’s office said.

An SS grade substitutes a D for undergraduate and professional courses or a C for graduate courses. Classes with SS grades will also count towards core, major, minor and certificate requirements “unless a grade of C or better is required in the course,” the provost’s office said, or a B or higher in graduate-level classes.

The UU grade is equivalent to an F in undergraduate and professional courses, or a D and F in graduate courses. F grades earned because of academic dishonesty are not eligible for conversion, the provost’s office said.

None of the new grades will calculate into a student’s existing GPA. However, those who receive a UU will not receive credit for a given course as would be the case for a grade of F. The provost’s office recommends that students convert failing spring grades to UU instead of using a grade adjustment policy, which allows students to delete up to three D or F grades from their degree program.

The provost’s office expects to share more information on how to convert grades “on or before April 15.” Requests to convert grades must be made by June 1, according to the provost’s office.

Share and discuss “Office of the Provost elaborates on satisfactory, unsatisfactory grading system” on social media.