Celebrating the fourth of July around Auburn

The fireworks display at Opelika's fourth of July celebration at Opelika High School on Thursday, July 3, 2014.

Raye May / PHOTO & DESIGN EDITOR
The fireworks display at Opelika's fourth of July celebration at Opelika High School on Thursday, July 3, 2014. Raye May / PHOTO & DESIGN EDITOR

Despite falling on a Monday, Auburn students are still finding ways to enjoy Fourth of July celebrations. Many plan to travel home for the holiday, while for those who remain, the City of Auburn and its neighbors are hosting several events.

Festivities begin on Friday, July 1, at Sparky’s Fireworks Barn in Loachapoka. Food vendors and a live band will be followed by a firework show to conclude the night.

The following night on Saturday, July 2, the Freedom Celebration will be held at Opelika High School. Coming up on its 69th year, the Freedom Celebration will include a performance by Route 66, a show of the Silver Wings Parachute Team and fireworks at 9 p.m. The event begins at 6:30 p.m. and is free to the public. Concessions and food vendors will also be available.

On July 4 the Auburn community is welcomed to join the Independence Day celebration at Duck Sanford Stadium. Guests will be able to enjoy inflatables, live music and an Aubie appearance. 

“Go big or go home,” said Jarrett Jones, director of Frank Brown Rec Center. “It’s going to be hype and crazy.” 

The Independence Day celebration looks to increase its population from years prior as it was limited in the past due to Covid-19 restrictions. 

“Fourth of July is about the kids, the family, and about the environment,” Jones said. 

Auburn Parks and Recreation is expecting a large crowd for the holiday. Meanwhile, Auburn students participating in a holiday weekend getaway plan to celebrate in surrounding cities. 

Before ending the night with fireworks, the Birmingham community can watch their minor league baseball team, the Birmingham Barons, take on the Tennessee Smokies at Regions Field. The game begins at 6:30 p.m. and will include an Independence Day celebration.

Boats on Lake Martin are preparing for a boat parade that will take place on July 4. The parade will begin at 10 a.m. and meet at Kowaliga Marina. Several prizes will be awarded to boats with features such as the tallest flag and the most creative theme. 

Visible fireworks and a lasting celebration will not be hard to miss in any area of East Alabama. Many of the events are family-friendly, allowing everyone to enjoy the holiday. 

Share and discuss “Celebrating the fourth of July around Auburn” on social media.