Cooper breaks out of her shell, helps wins national title

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is a phrase by which Rachel Cooper, Auburn equestrian team member, tries to live by each day.

Cooper, senior in journalism and business, began riding horses when she was 9 years old.

Graduating from Dominion Christian High School in Powder Springs, Ga., Cooper decided to come to Auburn after visiting the campus and meeting the coaches and players.

"I was looking at College of Charleston and riding for their equestrian team, but I visited Auburn and met the coaches and teammates and fell in love with it from there," Cooper said.

She also wanted to ride for a Division I school.

Along with helping the Tigers claim the 2011 National Championship, Cooper has served as the Student Athletic Advisory Committee secretary and received various community service awards.

"I think Rachel's greatest asset is her ability to listen to her teammates," said coach Greg Williams. "If any of them are struggling or just having a difficult time, Rachel is probably one of the best ones for them to be able to get a sympathetic ear and support out of."

Other than riding horses, Cooper enjoys running, photography, watching scary movies and spending time with her family.

The oldest of five children, Cooper said her parents are the greatest role models in her life.

"They have always shown me, not only with their words, but with their actions, what it means to be a person who truly stands behind their values and who always, no matter what, puts others before themselves," Cooper said.

Coming from a small Christian school, Auburn overwhelmed Cooper.

She sought out Lindsay Neubarth, a former assistant equestrian coach, for advice during her first year, Cooper said.

"She always encouraged me to be true to who I really was and not let these new factors in my life make me a different person," Cooper said.

As the team enters the 2011-12 season, Cooper said she expects nothing less than excellence from herself and her teammates.

"I expect us to continue to strive for the same excellence we strove for last year, which led us to the national championship," Cooper said.

One of the biggest challenges of competing, Cooper said, is being able to mount an unfamiliar horse and within four minutes be able to ride it.

A favorite memory of hers so far this season was traveling to Gulf Shores with her teammates for team-building.

"The girls made me dance to rap music," Cooper said. "It was so embarrassing."

Teammate Jillian Fuller, senior in health promotion, said Rachel is dedicated both on the field and in the classroom.

"She's a very reliable person," Fuller said. "If you ever need anything, you can go to her."

Cooper said she wants to ride after graduating.

"I would definitely love to be involved with some sort of hippotherapy, which is therapeutic riding for mentally or physically disabled kids."

Share and discuss “Cooper breaks out of her shell, helps wins national title” on social media.