Brychelle Brooks | Campus Reporter

Brychelle Brooks is a sophomore majoring in public and professional writing. She has been with The Plainsman since August 2023.

Campus

Roberts, Nathan 'evaluate the implications' of DEI bill signed by Gov. Kay Ivey

On March 20, Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed into law SB 129, a bill banning state funding of diversity, equity and inclusion programs, making Alabama one of 36 states that have introduced or passed legislation along these lines. Following the bill's passage, President Roberts and Provost Nathan sent out a joint statement via email emphasizing the university commitment to following state law, as well as affirming "access and opportunity." 

Campus

University holds annual Robert Hughes Mount Jr. poetry competition

Auburn University's Department of English is hosting the annual Robert Hughes Mount, Jr. poetry contest sponsored by the Academy of American Poets.The prize offered is $100, a membership in the Academy of American Poets and a copy of the judge’s collection of poems, this year Nathan Spoon. The winner will be announced April 26 at the Department of English's awards ceremony. 

Campus

'If not me, then who?': Auburn celebrates 60 years of integration

60 years ago, Harold A. Franklin enrolled as a graduate student at Auburn University, the first African American to do so. Like many attempts at integration across the nation, Franklin was met with considerable pushback, and he eventually left the university. He received a master's degree from Auburn in 2020 after coming back to defend his thesis. On Jan. 9, 2023, Auburn celebrated the anniversary of Franklin's enrollment, marking the beginning of an integrated Auburn University.

OIR Photo.png
Campus

"This is for a bigger battle": Operation Iron Ruck

Every Iron Bowl, a group of veterans hike from the away team's stadium to the home team stadium to raise awareness of veteran suicide. They will carry 22 pounds to commemorate the 22 veteran lives taken by suicide in Alabama annually on average. The hike, known as a ruck, brings community to veterans across the state and will begin Nov. 22 and end Nov. 25, the day of the 2023 Iron Bowl.

More articles »