Softball brings in second win of Wilson/Dimarini Classic

It was a slow start for the 16th ranked Tigers at home with no runs off of three hits in the first inning against Ohio State on Friday, Feb 27. 

It wasn’t until the bottom of the second with Jade Rhodes’s sixth home run that the Tigers put points on the board, bringing in three. She would later bunt the ball in the same inning to bring in Haley Fagan and Morgan Estell. 

Soon after Rhodes’ homer, Kasey Cooper drilled one past center field, bringing in another three. 

“Everyone has power on our team.” Rhodes said. “Home runs are just a thing that we do.”

The hits continued throughout the second as the Tigers made up for their scoreless start, including on-base hits from Morgan Estell and Courtney Shea to rally the team 10 points off six hits. 

The second inning lasted approximately 45 minutes with five walks and one hit from the opposing pitchers in rotation, including a pitch to Emily Carosone’s elbow. 

Last season, Carosone set an odd team record, getting hit by 33 pitches in just 62 total games, so she wears an elbow pad just in case.  

“Last year…I was gonna take it so I could get on base.” Carosone said. “Now I've moved off the plate so I don’t get hit as much.”

Auburn defense allowed one run from Ohio State in the top of the third due to a close-call home run that fell short. 

The Tigers then responded with back-to-back home runs on offense by Haley Fagan, who brought in Branndi Melero and then Carlee Wallace off the first pitch.

The Tigers held the Buckeyes on defense leading in to the bottom of the fourth. On offense, Anna Gibbs slammed the ball over the right field fence, totaling five home runs for the Tigers—the most scored in a game since 2011.  

“I thought we really swung it good tonight,” said coach Clint Myers. “A home run is nothing more than a byproduct of a good swing.”

In the top of the fifth, the Tigers gave up a home run for Ohio State that brought in an additional base runner that was hit in the back by a pitch, but Auburn sealed the deal and held the Buckeyes for the victory, 15-4. 

The Tigers, now 19-1, continue the series Saturday night, Feb. 28, against Southern Illinois at 5 p.m. 

Share and discuss “Softball brings in second win of Wilson/Dimarini Classic ” on social media.