Student's petition for Krispy Kreme gains rapid support

Allie McCafferty, freshman in undeclared math and science, took her Krispy Kreme doughnut craving to the Internet, and it seems she wasn’t alone.

McCafferty created a petition to build a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in Auburn on change.org on Feb. 25 at approximately 8 p.m. In less than 48 hours, she had more than 1,000 people sign the petition.

“I’m kind of obsessed with Krispy Kreme doughnuts,” McCafferty said. “I was feeling a little homesick the other day, and all I wanted was a doughnut. So I got a little dramatic.”

What started out as a joke and a dramatic request for a doughnut, according to McCafferty, turned into rapid support after she posted the link to her petition to her Facebook page, the Auburn ticket exchange Facebook group and her University class Facebook page.

“I figured somebody else had to want a doughnut that bad too,” McCafferty said. “I had no idea it was that big, and I looked at it today and it had 1,000 signatures.”

“It is important to have a Krispy Kreme in the college town because, honestly, I just really want some piping hot, gloriously round, deliciously glazed doughnuts when I’m pulling an all-nighter at RBD,” McCafferty stated in her petition description.

Though she’s tried Dunkin’ Donuts and D Square Donuts in Auburn, McCafferty said Krispy Kreme is a different craving.

“When I crave doughnuts, I think of Krispy Kreme doughnuts,” McCafferty said. “It’s not that I have anything against other doughnut places, it’s just that I really like plain, glazed hot doughnuts.”

According to Krispy Kreme’s website, there are currently no development opportunities for new franchises in the market for Alabama. The closest store is 31.2 miles away in Columbus, Georgia, followed by the Montgomery location 45.52 miles away.

Faced with this fact, McCafferty said she’s disappointed.

“There’s obviously a high demand for it,” McCafferty said. “Obviously, I’m not the only one craving fried sugar. You’d think consumerism would play a little role here. I wish they’d change their mind, and I understand it’s not possible.”

Nevertheless, McCafferty said when she gets the chance, she will research what next steps she could take to get a Krispy Kreme in Auburn.

“If it takes contacting Krispy Kreme myself, I’ll do it,” McCafferty said.

Share and discuss “Student's petition for Krispy Kreme gains rapid support” on social media.