​Plans for football-only complex in discussion

Auburn University officials are exploring the idea of constructing an on-campus, football-only complex according to a report by AL.com.

The plan may also include a renovation of the existing 26-year-old Athletics Complex on Donahue Drive.

“Something in the future has to be done," Athletic Director Jay Jacobs told AL.com. "The facility has served us well. We moved into it in June of 1989, but we have to keep moving. We have to create and have adequate space for our students and our coaches. You’ve just got to look at what we have and where we need to go."

Gus Malzahn also acknowledged the need for more space.

“That’s something we’ve been talking about,” Malzahn said. “We’re always planning for the future.”

The athletics department has been contemplating a rearrangement of facilities because of a lack of space in the current building.

The proposal would move all football offices to the new complex, freeing up space for other sports in the current athletic offices.

The latest proposal, which would cost an estimated $30 million, would continue a recent trend of big spending in the athletics department, after leasing up to 49 percent of the rooms in South Donahue Residence Hall for scholarship basis in 2013, along with another $6 million for the Wellness Kitchen in 2014.

Jordan-Hare Stadium is currently undergoing renovations valued at approximately $14 million, and plans are being made for further renovations, which could cost over $150 million.

Share and discuss “​Plans for football-only complex in discussion ” on social media.