Auburn students gather to support USA soccer team in World Cup

The USA women’s national soccer team defeated Japan 5-2 on Sunday, July 5, to win the World Cup.

Millions around the world watched the game on TV, including Auburn students and residents. Fans gathered downtown at various restaurants and bars to take in the action with others sporting the red, white and blue.

USA jumped out to an early lead by scoring four goals early in the first half, much to the delight of viewers.

“Four goals in 20 minutes, I didn’t see that coming,” Auburn alumnus Josh Nix said. “It was awesome.”

Gary Thorne, senior in public administration, said the win over Japan was a great win to end the World Cup.

“The U.S., in the opening stages of the World Cup, definitely underperformed,” Thorne said. “We struggled to find a sense of identity. But the [World Cup quarterfinal] China game gave us a little momentum. Once we played Germany [in the semifinals], we definitely found out what we needed to do to move forward, and that showed tonight. We beat Japan into the ground, and it was fantastic.”

Jake Oldham, junior in economics, said he didn’t expect the game to go as it did, but he was happy about the outcome.

“It was fun,” Oldham said. “The game was great. A little lopsided, which I really didn’t expect, but it was great to watch.”

Morris Howard, senior in political science, said he was also surprised by the dominant performance from the USA.

“It was incredible,” Howard said. “I thought we would win, but I didn’t think we would win the way we won. I didn’t think we would score four goals in the first 15 minutes. I thought we were better [than Japan]. We were bigger, stronger and faster than they were. But I didn’t think we would score that many that fast. It happened so quickly. We scored the first goal in two minutes. After that the goals just kept coming. It was fun to watch.”

Howard said payback was a big reason for the blowout.

“We were out for revenge,” Howard said, referencing the United States’ loss to Japan in the 2011 World Cup finals. “That’s what this game was all about.”

Several fans said they hope to see the women’s run in the World Cup propel soccer in America to new heights.

“It’s awesome to see American soccer excel,” Thorne said. “I want the men's team to do the same thing. I want the men's team to step up to the plate. It’s a process, but we’re going to get there eventually. The support for the women's has been outstanding. When we get that same support for the men's team, it’s going to be a very special thing.”

Howard agreed that the win will help soccer’s popularity in America.

“[The win] can only help exponentially,” Howard said. “Soccer has been growing in popularity since the men’s World Cup. Soccer is definitely a sport that is growing in the United States, and I think the women winning can only help that explosion.”

Share and discuss “Auburn students gather to support USA soccer team in World Cup” on social media.