Students receive public safety alert

Students received an alert from Auburn University Public Safety and Security at approximately 6 p.m. on Aug. 18.

According to the alert, a Campus Security Authority received a report of a female who may have been administered a drug against her will at an on-campus party last night, Monday, Aug. 17. 

The alert said Auburn University Public Safety and Security encourages all victims of crime to report crimes to the police, but the victim has chosen not to come forward at this time. 

Susan McCallister, associate director of public safety information and education, said drugging someone without their consent is considered aggravated assault.

"It would definitely be a student discipline issue if a student was involved," McCallister said. "Someone could be prosecuted under the law because it's a felony."

McCallister said students should trust their instincts.

"If something doesn't seem right, maybe you're in a situation where your drink looks or smells funny, don't drink it," McCallister said. 

If a student suspects they have been drugged, they should immediately seek medical attention and report the suspected assault to the police, according to McCallister. 

McCallister said Auburn University Public Safety and Security monitors social media after situations like this.  

"There was a lot of conversation about this student just getting drunk," McCallister said. "And that's possible, but people need to make sure they're taking these things seriously." 

Share and discuss “Students receive public safety alert” on social media.