An Indian SummerNight warms up downtown Auburn

Downtown Auburn held its first Indian SummerNight Art Walk, the first autumn feature of the art festivals hosted by the Jan Dempsey Community Arts Center, Auburn Arts Association and Auburn Downtown Merchants Association, on Friday, Oct. 9. 

The Indian SummerNight art walk featured over 50 vendors, the greatest count out of all events prior, and live music from the The Bama Gamblers. 

Because of the Toomer’s Corner Revitalization Project, this year's SummerNight Art Walk was substituted with a pop-up event in the Gay Street parking lot in June, and the regular art walk was postponed until Oct. 9. 

The Indian SummerNight Art Walk was met with generally positive reviews from vendors, who ranged from local to regional artisans.

The Auburn ceramics department was one vendor, selling student-made pottery while fundraising to attend the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts. 

Other vendors included Silas & Miri, Sophie’s Muse and The Vintage Soap Wagon.

The crowd included local families and college students.

“At a certain point we try to break it off where it is more of a late-night crowd that is coming to enjoy the entertainment district event,” said Cari Cleckler, the City of Auburn art education specialist. 

However, the art walk still maintains its traditional children’s events during the early evening. 

Future festivals include a holiday art sale in December, a jazz festival in the spring and the usual SummerNight art walk.

No future Indian SummerNight Art Walks are planned.

Share and discuss “An Indian SummerNight warms up downtown Auburn” on social media.