Five acts you can't miss at Sloss Fest

Several weeks ago I wrote an article in The Plainsman about different music festivals taking place in The Southeast in 2016. I discussed the pros and cons of festivals like Bonnaroo, Hangout and Ockechobee. 

One festival I mentioned that had not yet released it’s lineup for 2016 was The Sloss Music & Arts Festival, which is held at the historical Sloss Furnace in Birmingham Alabama. 

Since my article, Sloss Fest has released it’s full lineup, featuring headliners such as Ryan Adams, Death Cab for Cutie, and the Flaming Lips. The festival will also include many supporting acts such as Glass Animals, White Denim,  and Dr. Dog amongst others.

I decided for this article to go through their lineup and pick my Top Five music acts to see at Sloss. 

Here are some well known and lesser known acts you can’t miss at Birmingham’s premier music festival in 2016.

5. Ryan Adams and The Shining

I first heard of Ryan Adams when he released his album 1989, a full cover album of Taylor Swift’s 1989

I saw Father John Misty making parodies of  the covers, and came to think the cover album was a dumb idea. For a while I wrote off Adams due to that record. 

But after going back and looking through his extensive recording history and actually taking the time to listen to the Swift cover album I changed my tune. 

Adams is a acoustic folk powerhouse, reminiscent of and of course descending from the likes of Bob Dylan and Dave Van Ronk. He’s what any folk troubadour aspires to be. Expect an intimate yet powerful headlining show. 

Songs: "Oh, My Sweet Carolina," "New York, New York," "Off Broadway"

4. Anderson East

Anderson East is from Athens, Alabama, home of one of my favorite bands, Alabama Shakes. 

The Alabama native has some definite soul. East’s style takes aspects from Soul, Southern Blues, and Folk/Americana. 

While it’s very much in style to play the type of soul that East has been singing recently (featuring a full horn section), East really shines on solo performance featuring only his acoustic guitar and distinct Southern growl. 

It will be interesting to see how he balances the show between big band soul and solo folk, either way it will be a fun show to see. 

Songs: "Satisfy Me," "Devil in Me," "Say Anything"

3. Jr. Jr. 

There is something so intriguing about this band and their music, I knew they had to make the list. 

The group was formed in Detroit, originally called Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., a name someone suggest to them as a joke. 

The bands’ music however, is no joke, combining aspects of electronic music and live instruments to form a unique and satisfying musical style.

Electric guitars mix with drum machines, synthesizers, and powerful vocals to bring an almost surreal and spiritual sound.

This group might just be a new favorite, and they definitely deserve their spot at Sloss.

Songs: "Gone," "War Zone," "If You Didn’t See Me (Then You Weren’t On The Dance Floor)"

2. Fitz and The Tantrums

I have seen this band on two different occasions. The First time was alone in the front row at Hangout 2014. 

It turned out to be one of the most exciting concerts I  have ever attended.

The stage presence and overall energy of lead singers Michael Fitzpatrick and Noelle Scaggs is just something you have to experience for yourself. 

When I attended Music Midtown in September 2014 I was excited to see them on the lineup and I knew I would have to attend. 

This time I brought friends who were skeptical of the group. Once again the group preformed an amazing set and gained more fans in my friends.

If you’re going to Sloss I would pay them a visit.

Songs: "MoneyGrabber," "The Walker," "Out of My League"

1. Dr Dog

I first saw Dr Dog when they were opening for the Lumineers in 2013. 

Their set was so strong my friends and I were worried that the Lumineers might not be able to follow them. 

They did of course but if anything we felt the headliner and the opener were equally matched.

Soon after I became a huge fan of Dr Dog. 

This six-piece from Pennsylvania has a very unique sound. Three part harmonies, complex lyrics, roaring guitar riffs and catchy choruses come together to form a concert you won’t soon forget. 

Be sure to see these guys, you won’t regret it.

Songs: "Lonesome," "Truth," "Shadow People"

Alex can be reached at intrigue@ThePlainsman.com.

Share and discuss “Five acts you can't miss at Sloss Fest” on social media.