Lipscomb goes the distance, Auburn takes opener from Kentucky, 5-2

The Auburn Tigers looked to end a four-game losing streak when the Kentucky Wildcats traveled to Plainsman Park on Friday night. After a slow start, the Tigers found their offensive mojo and ended the night with a win by a score of 5-2.

Auburn got on the board first after Niko Buentello hit a deep double that brought in one run. Kentucky was quick to respond, bringing in one run in the top of the second inning. The game hit a lull until the bottom of the fourth when the Auburn bats came alive, as the Tigers recorded five consecutive hits including a three-run home run from Anfernee Grier. Auburn would only need to add one more run on its route to victory.

“That was a big moment when Anfernee hit the home run," said Auburn coach Butch Thompson. "That’s one thing for your best player to step up on a Friday night. That one moment [the double play on the bases] didn’t turn into something else. That was a big moment in the ball game.”

On the mound, redshirt junior Cole Lipscomb pitched his first complete game since Ole Miss last year. Lipscomb had a shaky start but was able to keep his composure and put together a great performance. Lipscomb allowed only two runs on five hits and no walks.

“We had 13 hits but only five runs, but a couple things that come to my mind are first, Cole had some hard contact early but he threw end of batters, he threw changeups, sliders and he had three strikeouts but no walks in a college baseball game, that’s pretty good.” Thompson said. “The defense handled routine balls late. He threw a ton of strikes early and they were the routine nature and we played baseball.”

In the second inning Kentucky had runners in scoring position, but Lipscomb was able to get out of the inning with only one run and build some confidence going forward with the game after being pulled early in multiple games this season.

“There have been some innings this year where I have had some trouble early and haven’t been able to get out of it, and that has caused me to get pulled early in games.” Lipscomb said. “Tonight with runners on base in the second [inning],  to get out of that with just one run and then be able to settle in and cruise the rest of the way was big for me.”

The Tigers improve to 19-23 on the season and 6-13 in the SEC. The second game of the series will take place on Saturday at 6 p.m. in Plainsman Park. 

Share and discuss “Lipscomb goes the distance, Auburn takes opener from Kentucky, 5-2” on social media.