University officials invited to White House to discuss higher education’s role in justice system reform

Kyes Stevens, the founder and director of the Alabama Prison Arts + Education Project in the College of Human Sciences at Auburn, and Provost Timothy Boosinger will join a group of prison higher education directors and provosts from universities around the country to explore the role of higher education and the challenges facing the current criminal justice system, according to a University release.

“This is an incredible opportunity to share the academic goals of Auburn University and the Alabama Prison Arts + Education Project with the current administration,” Stevens said. “The voices that will join at this table are long-established and successful models from around the nation, and we all welcome the opportunity to inform the national dialogue about higher education needs in prisons in the U.S.”

The Alabama Prison Arts + Education Project offers college-level courses in 10 prisons in Alabama, the release states. It has served more than 2,400 students with more than 240 semester-length classes in the arts, humanities, human sciences and STEM, or science, technology, engineering and mathematics, since it began.

“This program supports educational opportunities for a specific community of the state,” said Boosinger. “It also provides Auburn faculty, students and staff the opportunity to better understand the challenges facing the state of Alabama.”

Share and discuss “University officials invited to White House to discuss higher education’s role in justice system reform ” on social media.