The Boys & Girls Club host debate for club representative position

In an effort to spread awareness for voting and civic involvement, The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Lee County held "The Be Great Debate" on Oct. 26 at 4 p.m. in The Boykin Community Center. 

Michael Johnson, social recreation director, said the initial goal of the election is to teach the students about the process of voting and deciding who to vote for. 

"We felt like this process should be shown to them when they were younger, so when they are older they already know how it works," Johnson said. 

The debate featured two local middle schoolers, Mya Brown and Kyra Owens. The two candidates were selected by their peers during a previous election to represent the club on a student level. 

The candidates were lead on stage followed by their campaign managers to begin questioning. Before entering the room, a commercial from each candidate aired, highlighting their main platform points.

Unit director, Anthony Brock moderated the debate, allowing two-minute responses from each candidate.  

Brown focused mainly on extending "power hour," a study session and tasking for better snacks for the students.

Brown said she would like more supplies for the gym area, as "most of the balls are flat and broken."

Owens agreed with Brown, stating that "power hour" needed to be extended, as well as mentioning a plan for new shirts in a variety of colors. Owens stressed the need for a new location for The Boys & Girls Club, to avoid the conflicting schedules.  

"I feel that there should be a kitchen where hot meals can be prepared," Owens said. "This kitchen could serve as a cooking training program." 

Brown expressed a need for security group meetings in the community to ensure that the community is safe. Owens touched on this point as well. 

Owens said safety precautions would ensure that Auburn continues to be the "loveliest place to live." 

"I think [security groups] would be good for us, because we would learn what to do to help people," Brown said. 

Both candidates expressed their love for the club and spoke on why they believe it is important to serve in every way they can. 

"I just want to give everyone what they want and make people happy," Owens said. 

Brown has been a member of the club since she was 6 years old. 

"The reason why I love the Boys & Girls Club is because they treat me like family and they help me," Brown said. 

Overall, Johnson said the debate went well. The feedback and engagement from members is overwhelmingly positive. 

The election will take place Oct. 28 and results will be announced on Nov. 1.  

Share and discuss “The Boys & Girls Club host debate for club representative position” on social media.