Truitt's switch to running back paying dividends

The running back who scored a team-leading three touchdowns against Arkansas wasn’t even playing the position until a few weeks ago.

Stanton Truitt came to Auburn officially listed as an “Athlete,” but he began his career as a quick slot receiver. A shoulder injury that required surgery derailed his freshman season, but he came back this season ready to contribute. Then, Auburn’s running back depth got thrown for a loop.

Presumptive starter Jovon Robinson was dismissed, and next-in-line Roc Thomas transferred to Jacksonville State. That left Kerryon Johnson, converted h-back Kamryn Pettway, and a pair of freshmen still in the stable.

When Thomas left, coach Gus Malzahn and his staff began discussing how they could shore up the depth at running back with what they had available. Truitt, a former quarterback in high school, had already made a position change before, and that made him an attractive candidate in the coaching staff’s eyes.

“When Roc Thomas left we kind of looked at everything and he’s the one guy that we felt like the could do half the running back, half the wide receiver so we kind of started with that,” Malzahn said. “Then we just got to the point where hey, we need a little more depth at tailback. He had a great attitude towards it and he’s been working extremely hard the last three to four weeks doing that.”

Even before all the turnover at running back a season ago, and way before the position switch was made official, the coaches saw in Truitt the kind of traits they liked in running backs, which made him stick out in their minds later down the road.

“I always told Truitt he was a running back but he didn’t believe it because (former receivers) Coach [Dameyune] Craig always used to tell him he’s a running back because of the way he just hits the hole,” said receiver Tony Stevens. “When he’s catching bubbles he just goes North and South. He doesn’t try to make a move, he just goes North and South. And that’s what running backs do.”

After practicing with the running backs, Truitt finally got his first extensive action at the position against Arkansas last Saturday. He ended up scoring a pair of rushing touchdowns and added another receiving touchdown.

He exhibited the up-the-middle running ability that Malzahn and the rest of the coaching staff liked on the way to his 78 yards on eight carries, a blistering 9.8 yards per carry.

“We see the added dimension he brings, he’s got a different gear,” said offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee. “Obviously, he proved he can really run in between the tackles very well, and obviously he can catch the ball because he’d been a wideout. He’s obviously a huge added weapon for us on offense.”

Truitt has added another head to Auburn’s hydra of running backs, and with everyone back at full strength against an Ole Miss team that struggles to contain the run, he could quickly find more opportunities to stamp his name on his new position.

Share and discuss “Truitt's switch to running back paying dividends” on social media.