SGA makes plans for spring semester

SGA President Jesse Westerhouse recently discussed some of SGA’s accomplishments this semester, as well as some projects they'll undertake in the spring semester.

Westerhouse said changes would likely be coming to the ticketing system for football games in the near future.

“We are working with athletics and other groups on campus to outline some effective adjustments for ticketing policies next fall,” Westerhouse said. “We are working hard to do all we can to ensure a full student section.”

The changes are in response to the floundering student attendance rate at football games this past fall, largely attributed to the controversial changes introduced to student ticketing.

Westerhouse said the syllabus bank will be up and running next semester.

“The syllabus bank has been completed and will be live for student use in the spring,” Westerhouse said. “We are hoping that this becomes a popular platform for students to figure out what classes are best for each individual learning style.”

Westerhouse said he is currently spearheading a project to expand the Student Act.

“The Student Act project is one that aims to transform the current state of the north courts in the Student Act into a 1,200-1,500 seat multi-use auditorium," Westerhouse said. "This space will be used for anything from concerts to speakers to pageants."

The space will be a benefit to events with large attendance, Westerhouse said. 

“As Auburn currently lacks a space that could hold this capacity, we feel that it is both a need and a desire to see a space like this that could be used for both Academic and Extra-Curricular activities," Westerhouse said.

Westerhouse said SGA would be meeting with Alabama state politicians on Thursday, Jan. 26,  at Capital On the Plains to discuss student concerns.

“Our External Affairs team has worked extremely hard to reach out to state legislators to attend and address the student body,” Westerhouse said.

Westerhouse said SGA is working to decrease the number of “TBA” slots denoting unknown times and professors for classes during registration.

“Our goal of decreasing the number of TBA’s students encounter is really making progress. There have been policy changes made that will ensure that TBA’s are minimized in every way possible,” Westerhouse said. “This goes hand in hand with the syllabus bank project. If you don’t know who your professor is, the syllabus bank will be of no use when figuring out which classes to register for.”

Westerhouse said students should participate in the student body’s own political process.

“As always, we encourage all students to stay engaged and vote in the spring elections. This is an important time to elect the incoming positions for the 2017-2018 year,” Westerhouse said. “The more educated each student is on individual candidates, the better off the election process and the university as a whole are.”

Share and discuss “SGA makes plans for spring semester” on social media.