Six-run fifth inning ignites South Alabama win over Auburn

Auburn (9-4) lost to South Alabama (7-5) 14-3 following a six-run fifth inning that ignited the Jaguars’ offense.

Christian Camacho started the night on the mound for Auburn, having four scoreless innings entering the fifth. He would then be pulled for Elliot Anderson after walking the first batter following a home run from Eddie Paparella. The introduction for Anderson in the fifth was welcomed by the Jaguars, allowing four earned runs in what became a six-run fifth inning.

The Auburn offense was the first to strike with a single from center fielder Jonah Todd in the first. A single from third baseman Josh Anthony would seemingly ignite the offense for the Tigers in the second with a single from catcher Blake Logan two at-bats later. An ensuing double play from a hit by left fielder Bowen McGuffin, however, would silence the Tigers, not reaching base until the sixth inning.

Paparella’s home run in the fifth got the offense rolling for the Jaguars, with a two-run RBI single from Paul Russo pushing the lead to 3-0. Travis Swaggerty would then bring in a runner with a RBI single to make the lead 4-0. 

A run scored by walking Paparella later in the fifth gave the Jaguars a 5-0 lead, a RBI single from right fielder Brendan Donovan making the lead 6-0. Auburn escaped the inning on the next at-bat with a pop-up from catcher Jared Barnes.

The bottom of the fifth saw three at-bats from the Tigers, Luke Jarvis and Logan striking out with a pop-up from McGuffin to rush into a five-run sixth from South Alabama.

Left fielder Dylan Hardy started the hot sixth inning with a single, his first hit of the night after being striking out in the third and fifth. A two-run RBI single from Swaggerty, followed by a walk and another two-run RBI single from Paparella gave the Jaguars a 10-0 lead before its second out. Barnes would hit a RBI single to make the lead 11-0 prior to the ending of the sixth.

Paparella had five RBI at three at-bats going 3-for-5 on the night with a walk, Swaggerty went 4-for-5 with four RBI on four singles.

Auburn would score its first run of the night in the sixth after a RBI single from Ingram, Anthony hitting a two-run RBI at the next at-bat to make the score 11-3. Jarvis struck out to end the inning entering the seventh.

The Jaguars continued its hot offense into the seventh with a RBI single from pinch hitter Hunter Stokes to make the lead 12-3. A RBI via fielder’s choice with Swaggerty at-bat gave South Alabama a 13-3 lead, another RBI single from Paparella making it 14-3.

Strikeouts by Welby Malczewski on first baseman Wells Davis and Barnes before entering the bottom of the seventh. Rain would then begin to fall during the seventh inning stretch.

Auburn slipped through the bottom of the seventh in pouring rain with just three at-bats, right fielder Jeremy Johnson striking out to transition into the eighth.

After shutting out South Alabama in the top of the eighth, Auburn rolled out the tarp to conclude the game with progressing weather conditions.

Auburn will play Kennesaw State at home on Wednesday, March 8. The game will be televised on the SEC Network starting at 3 p.m.

Share and discuss “Six-run fifth inning ignites South Alabama win over Auburn” on social media.