Student meets with administration following immigration ban letter

Sarah Pitts, senior in English literature and Spanish with a minor in political science, held a meeting with University administrators urging them to take a stronger stance against President Trump’s immigration ban.

Pitts and administration met on Thursday, March 2, in the Student Center Ballroom B.

The event was organized in response to a successful letter-writing campaign Pitts started, which rallied “about 30 different students,” who wrote letters to Congressman Mike Rogers, Governor Robert Bentley and Auburn’s SGA administration.

Guest speakers included Vice President for Student Affairs Bobby Woodard and University Provost Timothy Boosinger.

Pitts had responded to the University’s statement regarding Trump’s executive order, calling it a “weak stance” with “no action taken.”

“There was nothing specific about what Auburn would do to protect its students, to protect anyone in the community who was affected by this ban,” Pitts said.

Pitts’ response included an outline of 10 direct actions the University could take to protect students from the countries included under the ban.

In addition to banning immigrants from seven predominantly Muslim nations, President Trump has vowed to repeal several immigrant amnesty measures enforced by Barack Obama, including childhood arrivals.

“Let us not speak in generalities, let us look at the particulars,” Pitts said. “Without some proactive action by the University’s administration, immigrants impacted by [President Trump’s] executive orders will be denied the opportunity to continue their studies, to complete their degrees, to do research, to teach and to work at our university.”

While Trump’s executive order has been temporarily suspended by a Seattle judge, the President has said he is drafting another, more extreme order to replace it.

Woodard and Boosinger both said the University has drafted a second statement in case Trump’s updated order does pass.

Pitts and University administrators, including Woodard and Boosinger, will be meeting with the University Senate on Tuesday, March 7, to discuss the legal ramifications of Pitts’ suggested actions.

Pitts encouraged students to seek out counseling services for those affected by the ban, which “exist, but aren’t well-advertised.”

Woodard said he encourages students who feel threatened or unsafe “physically or mentally” to report concerns to on-campus counseling, which is available anonymously.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated Woodard and Boosinger would be meeting with state legislature, not the University Senate. It also stated an incorrectly named Woodard "asspcoate vice president for student affairs." Woodard is associate provost. He is also vice president for Student Affairs. We regret the errors. 

Share and discuss “Student meets with administration following immigration ban letter” on social media.