Various organizations hold international friendship picnic

The University’s graduate schools, the Muslim Student Association and the Church of Highlands came together to host the International Friendship Picnic.

The picnic was held in the Davis Arboretum on Saturday, March 4. 

Guests signed in by creating a name tag consisting of their name and home country. Those attending were then encouraged to participate in a scavenger hunt before getting to know each other over  pizza, refreshments and corn hole.

Thamer Alqurashi, Muslim Student Association president, said the scavenger hunt asked people to go around and converse with others of different background.

“We are doing this event to bring people together,” Alqurashi said. 

Two of the games within the scavenger hunt were the Four Faith Feast and Four Continent Coffee. Both of these games comprised of finding three additional people of differing faiths or home continents and coordinating a time that agrees with everybody in the group to meet for coffee or lunch. If this is successfully completed, the meal or coffee will be sponsored. 

Asim Ali, Muslim Student Association advisor, said these are just two creative ways for people to keep in contact past this event.

“The purpose behind today’s event is to encourage people from different backgrounds to have shared experiences because meaningful shared experiences strengthen communities” Ali said. “Any time we have strong communities and when we have friends that are from different backgrounds, we know that that helps us curb the spread of ignorance.” 

Ali said this is the main idea behind the event—to give people an excuse to get together and create these shared meaningful experiences.

This event began as a result of recent events in the U.S. and around the world making international students feel more uncomfortable and unwelcome. 

Of the 49 graduate students affected by the ban from seven countries, forty-four of them were from Iran. 

Len Vining, coordinator for International Social Programs coordinator and Iranian Student Association advisor, met with Iranian Student Association President Mohamad Menati to discuss what actions were possible to help the students feel more welcome.

“Regardless of what happens at a macro level, at a community level, if you know somebody and they are your friend, you have a bond," Vining said. "We want to strengthen the bond and cross-cultural bonds within our community and in the Auburn family."

University Provost Timothy Boosinger said he wants everyone at Auburn to feel welcome

"This is just one way to express our appreciation for all the students that come to Auburn for an education," Boosinger said. "We want everybody to feel safe and for people to be a part of our community, not just the academic community, but be a part of the city of Auburn which my wife and I have lived here for 30 years. It’s just a great place to live.”

Boosinger said he hopes there are more events similar to the picnic.

“I and other administrators have spent a bit of time with different student groups, reassuring them because we know there is some anxiety,” Boosinger said. “We are trying to do everything we can to help.”

Alqurashi said he hopes to celebrate cross-cultural relationships and international friendships through more events like the picnic.

“I’m glad the first event has been held by a church and the Islamic Student Center,” Alqurashi said. “I hope this is the beginning of future friendship between churches and mosques.”

Campus Pastor for Church of the Highlands Wren Aaron said the event is an incredible opportunity to unite the University and community. 

“It’s been a great day, great event,” Aaron said.

When asked about her take on the event, President of International Student Relations Shamim Naigaga said the Auburn is a community.

"That is the main thing about it," Naigaga said. "It is to like each other because when you look at the games, they’re showing that you can have things in common rather than have different denominations and different races.”

Turnout exceeded Menati’s expectations, leaving event contributors happy and surprised. 

“People are different and can get along not caring about what religion they are, nationality they have. and this turned out to be a great, great event” Menati said.

Share and discuss “Various organizations hold international friendship picnic” on social media.