119 students to be awarded doctor of veterinary medicine degrees

The College of Veterinary Medicine is the nation's seventh oldest veterinary medical program. To date, the College of Veterinary Medicine has awarded 6,656 degrees, said Mitch Emmons, senior outreach associate.

Auburn's College of Veterinary Medicine will award 119 degrees on Tuesday, May 9, at 6 p.m. at its 110th commencement ceremony.

The class is made up of 40 students from Alabama, 36 from the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the 43 others come from 17 states and one country.

The commencement speech will be given by Dr. Roberta Relford, a 1982 graduate and leader in corporate veterinary medical diagnostics.

Relford is from Argyle, Texas. She is currently the vice president and chief medical officer at IDEXX Laboratories. The company works to improve animal healthcare worldwide.

Four distinguished guests will be honored with the Bailey Distinguished Alumni award. Relford, Dale Eckert, W. Davis Goolsby and Stephen Walkley will be receiving the 2017 honor.

This honor — the highest honor to be awarded in the College of Veterinary Medicine — is named after the late Wilford S. Bailey. Bailey held a 50-year employment with the University. He served in positions from instructor to University president. He was the first recipient of the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine Distinguished Alumnus Award.

Following his death, the honor became his namesake.

Four candidates will be awarded the Doctor of Philosophy in biomedical sciences.

As well as awarding doctor of veterinary medicine degrees, 11 Master of Science degrees will be awarded. 

Share and discuss “119 students to be awarded doctor of veterinary medicine degrees” on social media.