Education advocate to speak at summer graduation ceremonies

On Saturday, Aug. 5, Auburn University will hold its summer graduation ceremonies in the Auburn Arena, awarding 1,160 new graduates with degrees.

The 10 a.m. ceremony for the College of Architecture, Design and Construction, the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering, the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Sciences and Mathematics and University College, and the 2 p.m. ceremony for the College of Agriculture, the Raymond J. Harbert College of Business, the College of Education, the College of Human Sciences and the School of Nursing will feature a speech by former Walker County schools teacher Beth Thorne Stukes.

Stukes has helped out with "Because this is Auburn — A campaign for Auburn University." Having raised over $1 billion for the campaign, she advocates for education. 

Stukes, married to former basketball coach Rick Stukes, has been said to have been an asset to the community by working with beneficial organizations such as parks and recreation, the humane society and literary council. She has also received awards for her community services. 

You can watch the ceremonies at http://www.auburn.edu/graduationlive.

Share and discuss “Education advocate to speak at summer graduation ceremonies ” on social media.