Malzahn looks ahead to Mizzou, addresses depth concerns

Maintaining a stable depth chart has been a challenge for Gus Malzahn this season.

The head coach addressed roster concerns following former backup Sean White’s dismissal from the team and Byron Cowart’s release Tuesday morning. Malzahn says that Malik Willis will retain the No. 2 quarterback slot, and, barring any injury, wide receiver Ryan Davis will be preparing to slide into the No. 3 position.

“We’ve been saying for a while that we feel really good about [Willis],” Malzahn said. “The way he has performed in fall camp, specifically the scrimmages, was very impressive.”

As a quarterback in St. Petersburg, Florida, Davis threw for 2,120 yards, 19 touchdowns and 17 interceptions as a highly recruited dual-threat option. Redshirt freshman Devin Adams, Malzahn said, “is in the middle of that conversation, too.”

“When you watch [Adams], every time he gets an opportunity to get in a game, whether it’s the spring game or whether it’s the game, he makes plays,” Malzahn said. “He can run the base offense. The biggest challenge he has is that he has been with the scout team. Chip Lindsey has got a good plan for him to be with the offense more than he has been.”

With Cowart’s release, it is assumed that Tyrone Truesdell will be the next available at defensive tackle.

“Nick Coe has the ability to come inside, too,” Malzahn said. “[Truesdell] is coming on and Andrew Williams is already in the mix, so we feel good.

“I think right now our defense is the No. 2 defense in the country, and our defense line has a lot to do with that.”

Auburn trails only Vanderbilt in Division I football by only allowing an average of 201.7 yards per game. Despite their impressive defensive outings, Auburn ranks outside the top 50 in total offense.

Kerryon Johnson, who suffered a hamstring injury in Auburn’s home-opening win over Georgia Southern, will return for the Tigers’ SEC-opener at Missouri. Malzahn would not say if the running back is at 100 percent, but did admit that his return would take weight off of Kamryn Pettway, who has started at running back since week two.

On whether Pettway had too much of a workload with Johnson’s absence, Malzahn said “he’s an SEC running back… that’s just the way it goes. The fact that [Johnson] is back will definitely help.”

In addition to returning players and position changes, Malzahn “would like a little competition” for the starting punter job. He added that Daniel Carlson, Auburn’s starting kicker, is a possibility to take the position in place of current starting punter Ian Shannon.

Carlson, who has struggled to start the season, has gone 5-for-8 on field goals with a long from 50 yards. Last season, Carlson missed just four field goals, going 28-for-32 with a long from 53 yards.

“More than anything, he just needs to relax,” Malzahn said. “He puts a lot of pressure on himself trying to live up to the last two seasons. He just needs to be Daniel Carlson, loosen up and do his thing. I think you’ll see that moving forward.”

Auburn will play Missouri in Columbia this Saturday to start SEC play. Malzahn says that, after a short season of tumultuous development, his team is prepared to shape its identity.

“We're starting SEC play, and that's what we've been building up to,” he said. “We have a new coordinator and new quarterback, and they'll consistently get better. We have a very good defense - the second ranked defense in the country right now. Our kicking game is solid. We can be better, but if we keep improving, we can play with anybody in the country."

Share and discuss “Malzahn looks ahead to Mizzou, addresses depth concerns” on social media.