PREVIEW: Law enforcement and community members set to meet at 'Together We Can' event

This Thursday, Sep. 7 an event will join together local law enforcement and community members. "Together We Can," an event sponsored by the Office of Sustainability will take place later this week at 6:30 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom.

With recent strife between police officers and communities across the country, this event could be tremendously beneficial for a community yearning to get to know their local law enforcement and have a productive and healthy discourse on local laws and national policies.

The event was created by Jade Kinney, a counseling psychology doctoral student, and will be the second event of its kind held here at Auburn after the event was held last fall.

"'Together We Can' invites the Auburn community to come fellowship with our local law enforcement," Kinney said. "There will be free food and beverages provided by the Cross-Cultural Center for Excellence and an open discussion about police policies surrounding community interaction."

"I am hoping that this event will ultimately bring about an understanding between the community and law enforcement, eventually decrease crime rates and also decrease negative outcomes between police officers and citizens within the community," Kinney said.

Kinney believes anyone who can come to the event should show up. 

"Typically, when an individual encounters a police officer it is because of some sort of offense; I want this to be a time where citizens and police officers alike can communicate their perspectives in a safe and reassuring atmosphere," Kinney said.

The goal is open communication among the community in hopes of building stronger relationships.

Share and discuss “PREVIEW: Law enforcement and community members set to meet at 'Together We Can' event” on social media.