Tommy Tuberville on AD opening: 'I don't think there's anyone more qualified than me'

Tuberville has made it known that he wants to serve as Jay Jacobs' successor

Former Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville has been roped back into the weather vane of Auburn Athletics. This time, it's of his own accord.

A week after University Athletic Director Jay Jacobs announced that he will resign in June or sooner, Tuberville has made it known that he wants to serve as Jacobs' predecessor.

"I would love to help Auburn's athletic program," Tuberville said Thursday on WNSP 105.5 in Mobile, Alabama. "I don't think there's anyone more qualified than me. I know it. I know the people. I know the boosters, the alumni. I know the city, the community. I would love to talk to the president, whether I am a candidate or whether I can help."

Tuberville served as the Tigers' head man from 1999-2008, through which the Camden, Arkansas native compiled a 85-40 overall record. Auburn's memorable 2004 season, in which the Tigers went 13-0 and captured a Sugar Bowl victory over Virginia Tech, came under Tuberville's watch.

After his stint on The Plains, Tuberville coached in Lubbock, Texas at Texas Tech from 2010-2012. He then coached the Cincinnati Bearcats from 2013-2016 before accepting a color analyst position with ESPN covering college football. 

Jacobs’ move, which will be effective by next summer, comes after a succession of scandals hit Auburn Athletics over the course of the year, including allegations against two winning softball coaches accused of inappropriate sexual conduct and the arrest of an Auburn basketball legend turned coach accused of bribery and corruption.

If a successor is chosen earlier, Jacobs said he will step down then.

Share and discuss “Tommy Tuberville on AD opening: 'I don't think there's anyone more qualified than me'” on social media.