City Council to hear Sunday morning alcohol sales ordinance at Tuesday meeting

At its regular meeting on Tuesday, April 17, Auburn City Council will hear a proposed ordinance to amend the city code to allow restaurants to start serving alcohol on Sundays at 10 a.m.

Currently, restaurants cannot legally serve alcohol until noon on Sundays. The proposed amendment does not alter the noon Sunday start time for liquor stores or other shops that sell alcohol.

Unanimous consent is required from the council on Tuesday to vote on the ordinance. However, if consent is denied by a council member, the body would be able to vote on it at its next meeting where it would need only a majority vote to pass.

If the council passes the amendment on Tuesday, the Sunday morning sales could begin April 29, according to city documents.

The potential change arose from requests from the Auburn Chamber of Commerce and the Auburn and Opelika Tourism Bureau, which said the morning sales could attract more business to the area.

In March, the Alabama Legislature passed a bill sponsored by Auburn Republican Rep. Joe Lovvorn to allow the council to vote on the change. The bill became law after Gov. Kay Ivey did not act on it.

The council passed the request to the state Legislature for the act in January, with Council Members Tommy Dawson, Gene Dulaney and Verlinda White voting in opposition.

Share and discuss “City Council to hear Sunday morning alcohol sales ordinance at Tuesday meeting” on social media.