Auburn adds Memphis transfer

<p>Jamal Johnson (1). Courtesy of USA Today Sports.</p>

Jamal Johnson (1). Courtesy of USA Today Sports.

With much uncertainty regarding its backcourt, Bruce Pearl added a piece to his future squads.

Former Memphis guard Jamal Johnson committed to Auburn Wednesday morning. Johnson will sit out the 2018-19 season and have three years of eligibility remaining.

Evan Daniels of 247Sports was the first to report the news.

Johnson averaged 6.9 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.0 assist per game as a freshman at Memphis last year.

“I feel like it’s home for me,” Johnson told Daniels. “I think I fit well in this program. Coach Pearl and this staff warmed up to me. I feel like I belong here. I feel like is right for me.

“Just talking to Coach Pearl and the staff and talking to the team and just touring the campus and seeing all of it. I just feel at home here. This campus is amazing and the team is amazing. I just got a great feel.”

Johnson, a former four-star recruit, is from Spain Park, Alabama, and is a former high school teammate of Auburn sophomore Austin Wiley.

With Jared Harper and Bryce Brown testing the NBA Draft waters, it remains to be seen how the Tigers will line up in the backcourt in the 2018-19 season.

VCU transfer Samir Doughty will play a heavy dose of minutes for Pearl this season after Davion Mitchell transferred from Auburn to Baylor.

If Brown returns for his senior season, Johnson could replace Brown following his graduation.

Share and discuss “Auburn adds Memphis transfer” on social media.