Scott Dawson visits Auburn — talks ethics, economy and relationships

"[The bus tour] has gone well," Dawson said to The Plainsman. "Thirty-six counties in six days. We're getting used to people. But when we stop, when we get out and we see people that are on the side-of-the-road."

<p>Alabama governor candidate&nbsp;Scott Dawson speaks with a&nbsp;member of the Auburn community at Toomer's Corner on Thursday, May 31, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Alabama governor candidate Scott Dawson speaks with a member of the Auburn community at Toomer's Corner on Thursday, May 31, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

The black and blue tour bus came to a stop outside of Toomer's Drugs and the Dawson family jumped off the bus with "Scott Dawson for Governor" yard signs and pamphlets in hand.

Republican gubernatorial candidate Scott Dawson and his family visited Auburn Thursday morning during a stop on his six-day "The Time is Now" Bus Tour through Alabama. 

"[The bus tour] has gone well," Dawson said to The Plainsman. "Thirty-six counties in six days. We're getting used to people. But when we stop, when we get out and we see people that are on the side-of-the-road. We see how the momentum across our state is really growing."

Dawson and his family spoke with community members. He wanted to know what issues were important to his supporters. 

"We want to have strong ethics," Dawson said about his platform. "We shouldn't weaken our ethics laws, we should just live by them. If there's a question, there shouldn't be a question. Back-room deals should be stopped. We should be transparent before the people of Alabama."

Dawson also has education plans. He wants all children in Alabama to be able to read by the time they reach the third grade, Dawson said. 

As for his economic plans, every city has an economic development department and everyone is working to bring jobs to Alabama, Dawson said. 

Dawson doesn't want to just take the credit for bringing jobs to Alabama, he wants to help bring those jobs to Alabama, Dawson said. 

"What I'd love to see happen is not only recruiting industry into our state, I want to set Alabama businesses free from unnecessary regulations, occupational fees and licensing fees," Dawson said. "I think that is what would set Alabama's economy on fire if we could do those three things."

He emphasized that Alabama needs to budget. His first act as governor would be a performance audit of all state agencies. He wants to know where the money and manpower are, Dawson said. 

"I think Alabama's got to get back to limited government so we can free up the money for roads, education and prison overcrowding," Dawson said. 

Dawson is a Birmingham-based evangelist and founder of the Scott Dawson Evangelistic Association. He has never run any political campaigns, and that's why he's running. 

"I'm running for Alabama, and that's what we've been trying to do," Dawson said. 

What Dawson lacks in political experience he makes up for with his knowledge of how to connect and work with many people that hold vastly different viewpoints.

"Everyone can go around and campaign on their promises, but the proof's in the pudding of getting things done," Dawson said. "To me, if my eternity is based on relationships, everything in my life is built on relationships. So we will build relationships with the legislators just like I've done with pastors."

He has worked with and built relationships with pastors around the U.S. He plans to use his relationship-building skills to get legislators from all parties to work together in Montgomery.

"I say the only thing harder than getting Republicans and Democrats to work together is getting Baptists and Methodists to work together," Dawson said. "And that's what I've done for three decades."

After speaking with supporters, Dawson went into Auburn Hardware to speak with more community members. 

Meanwhile, his wife, Tarra, and two children, Hunter and Hope, purchased lemonade from Toomer's Drugs for themselves, campaign members and supporters. 

Supporters took their lawn signs and lemonade and left for their cars. The Dawson family, minus Scott, sipped their lemonade outside Toomer's Drugs while they waited for Scott to finish speaking with the last of the supporters. 

Dawson will continue his bus tour until Monday with a break Sunday for worship and rest, according to scottdawson.com. 

The Alabama gubernatorial primary is Tuesday, June 5. Dawson is in the Republican primary with Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle, state Sen. Bill Hightower and Gov. Kay Ivey. 

Share and discuss “Scott Dawson visits Auburn — talks ethics, economy and relationships ” on social media.