Mickey Dean building ambidextrous pitching core with signing of LHP Lexie Handley

Left-handed pitcher Lexie Handley adds depth to the 2018-19 signing class

Auburn softball is spending the summer strengthening its pitching core to create a challenge for opposing batters next season.

To front those efforts, left-handed pitcher Lexie Handley signed with the Tigers on Wednesday, head coach Mickey Dean announced.

“I think Lexie will be a great addition to our pitching staff,” Dean said in a statement. “Her addition gives us two righties and two lefties. She had a tremendous high school career and great freshman year at Akron.”

In Handley’s first collegiate season for Akron, she posted a 20-17 record in 44 appearances with 25 starts. Named the 2017 Mid-American Conference Freshman Pitcher of the Year, Handley had a 2.45 ERA with 7 shutouts. Throwing 20 complete games, she allowed 175 hits and 108 runs (79 earned).

Handley was also selected Second Team All-MAC, All-MAC Freshman Team and NFCA All-Region.

While taking home three MAC East Pitcher of the Week awards in 2017, she walked a program-low 92 batters and struck out 183 to rank seventh overall in Akron history.

After sitting out the 2018 season with a medical redshirt, Handley will have three years of eligibility remaining.

She currently holds the records at her high school alma mater, St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, for most strikeouts in a game (19), most strikeouts in a season (228) and most career strikeouts (775). Handley is a two-time first team All-State selection with two first-team All-District and first-team All-League honors in her hometown of Mogadore, Ohio.

Handley will be joining Auburn’s 2018-19 signing class alongside Aspyn Godwin of Daphne, Tate Moseley out of Trussville and Haley Nillen from Spring, Texas.

With southpaw Kara Bilodeau transferred to Florida State and graduated senior Kaylee Carlson having completed her eligibility, Auburn softball is adding the components to remain a strong presence in the circle. 

Share and discuss “Mickey Dean building ambidextrous pitching core with signing of LHP Lexie Handley” on social media.