UPDATE: Faculty Member Struck by Student Driver

An Auburn University faculty member was struck by an Auburn student Thursday while trying to cross West Magnolia Avenue at approximately 7:30 a.m.

Richard Ruff, director of engineering outreach, was struck by a 2008 Nissan Sentra while crossing the street towards campus at the crosswalk in front of the McDonald's located at 224 W. Magnolia Ave.

According to Auburn Police Division Captain Tom Stofer, the injuries were minor, and Ruff was released after being helped by emergency personnel.

"I think the driver momentarily took their eyes off the roadway and hit the person," Stofer said.

West Magnolia Avenue has recently been modified with yellow signs in the road and special lights at clearly marked crosswalks to try and protect pedestrians.

"I don't know what more we could do at this point," Stofer said. "We've increased patrols at this area."

Stofer said he believes this to be the first incident of this kind since the new safety measures, but that this area is especially dangerous because of the large number of pedestrians crossing the street every day.

Stofer cautions pedestrians and drivers to be aware and attentive when traveling through this area.

Share and discuss “UPDATE: Faculty Member Struck by Student Driver” on social media.