Bacteria hides in unexpected places

Most people have been taught to wash their hands throughout the day and cover their mouths when they cough. But few are truly aware of how much bacteria can be growing on their hands just from doing everyday activities, like talking on the phone and going to a restaurant.

Matt Kearley, nonmajors general biology coordinator, said there are several commonly-used items people would never predict to be hosts to bacteria.

Surprisingly, a large amount of bacteria can be found on cell phones. People have become so attached to their phones that they have become a part of everyday life.

"They handle their cell phones while they eat and do everything else," Kearley said.

Kearley explained people's hands collect bacteria from surfaces they touch throughout the day, and the bacteria grows on the cell phone screens and buttons when people call or text.

Another less commonly known bacteria-infested item is the kitchen sink.

Despite how spotless some may keep their kitchens, most people do not realize the amount of bacteria growing in their own kitchen sinks.

"A lot of times sinks...are going to have more bacteria than a toilet seat," Kearley said.

Stuart Price, associate professor of pathobiology, advised cleaning kitchen sinks with hot water after each use to disinfect the area.

"If raw chicken juice gets in the sink and you don't actually disinfect (the sink), it can stay there for days and it can become contagious," Price said.

Kitchen sinks with garbage disposals are especially unsanitary since the food coming off the plate and going into the disposal can cause bacteria to grow, Kearley said.

But the sink isn't the only part of the kitchen where bacteria can hide and multiply.

"We probably have more foodborne outbreaks from people handling food in their own kitchen than we do in actual restaurants," Price said.

Price named the biggest concerns in food safety for restaurants and home preparation of foods: vegetables, fruits and uncooked meats. They can all have contamination, which increases the chances of acquiring a foodborne illness.

"I've seen people that will prepare a chicken and use a cutting board, and then without washing the cutting board they begin cutting up tomatoes. What you're doing is getting the raw chicken juice on the tomato, and you can definitely get sick from this," Price said.

Disinfecting fruits is a concern not only in the kitchen, but also in every restaurant. If a lemon is not cleaned thoroughly, customers could be drinking iced water that is swimming with bacteria.

"Coming right out of the citrus field, fruit will be very dirty on the outside," Price said. "And so unless the restaurant has properly cleaned the outside of that, it could also contaminate."

How often a restaurant receives a fresh supply of fruit and vegetables usually depends on the restaurant menu. Also, the food goes through a long process before it reaches the restaurants or grocery stores.

"There's several tiers that you go through to get the food from the pasture or field to the person," Price said. "Each particular tier has special guidelines in place to maintain that the food is not contaminated."

Items that people are consistently touching throughout the day, including gas pumps and menus, are also going to host a large amount of bacteria, Kearley said.

"Usually people go and wash their hands, and then they come back and pick up the menu immediately," Kearley said. "And that menu that's been sitting out all day that everyone has been using can have a lot of bacteria on it."

Luckily, there are ways to stay healthy and sanitary, even when surrounded by such bacteria-laden items.

"Simple things, like pick up the menu and look at it before you go wash your hands and eat," Kearley said. "Also, don't hold your cell phone while you're eating at the same time."

Price recommended setting up a wash station at home while cooking and washing fruits and vegetables after they are purchased from the grocery store.

Many times, dirt is visibly apparent on grocery store produce, and the dirt can contain pathogens that cause foodborne illnesses.

"Just be more conscious of what you're doing and trying to keep your hands clean," Kearley said.

Share and discuss “Bacteria hides in unexpected places” on social media.