Auburn baseball conquers Georgia 8-4

Michael O'Neal aids the Tigers to victory over Georgia. (Courtesy of Auburn Athletics)

After a thrilling comeback victory on Friday against Georgia Auburn bounced back on Saturday April 13 for a convincing 8-4 victory in game one of a double header. The win clinches a series victory for the Tigers.

"Anytime you can win a series in the SEC is big time," pitcher Michael O'Neal said. "I know we've got one more game and now we need the sweep badly. Anytime you can win a series is a plus for us and good momentum."

Auburn jumped out to an early lead after Cullen Wacker hit a two-run homer in the first to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead. Jordan Ebert then hit an RBI single in the second to extend the lead to 3-0.

By the seventh inning the Tigers had built a 7-1 lead over Georgia.

"After the second inning with a three nothing lead you can put it on cruise control, and just throw strike one and get out one and just prevent the big innings," O'Neal said.

O'Neal finished the day by giving up five hits, four runs and three strikeouts in seven innings pitched.

In the eighth inning Head Coach John Pawlowski decided to take O'Neal out and bring in Chase Williamson who gave up two hits and a walk in less than an inning pitched.

With the bases loaded and two outs Pawlowski decided to make another change and bring in Reid Carter to finish off the inning. Carter managed to hold off Georgia and keep them from scoring. They would then cruise to the 8-4 victory.

"Reid's awesome I love Reid," O'Neal said. "Bases loaded right there with two outs gave a go ahead run at home plate and I'm just thinking here we go please hold it please hold it and Reid is just slamming it down. He threw some really good curve balls and I couldn't be more proud of him."

After a slow start to the season Auburn has turned things around and have gained confidence from their recent wins.

"We're just confident now and we believe in ourselves," O'Neal said. "Starting out with LSU and Vanderbilt we felt like they were one and two in the country right there. We started out slow, but once we played Alabama and got that first win under us it was huge for us and we took that momentum to Texas A&M big time. The hitters look more confident and it's amazing how much better their swings look to me."

Auburn will go for the sweep against Georgia in game two of the double header beginning at 4:20 p.m.

Share and discuss “Auburn baseball conquers Georgia 8-4” on social media.