Her view: There has to be a better way to park

Parking. It seems to be an issue on every college campus, and Auburn is no exception.
The parking system is definitely skewed. How is it that parking passes are only given out based
on a lottery system? At Auburn, I think we need a more systematic way to handle this situation.
By doing so, there would be fewer student complaints and frustration.
It is evident that in most majors at Auburn, the only way to advance into a higher program is by meeting a minimum GPA requirement and seniority. I think parking passes should follow a similar regulation. Why not make parking permits available based on GPA and seniority? It only seems fair and reasonable.
As a senior, I feel parking should not be a hassle, as I have already had to deal with it for three years. The system for registering for classes is based on seniority and number of hours, so why shouldn't parking have the same standards?
A parking lottery does not make sense. I am a senior with good academic standing, why should I not be able to get parking when an incoming freshman can.
I am not the only one. Many of my friends this year are facing the same problem and are disappointed and frustrated.
Aside from parking on campus during regular school hours, game day parking is something that has always frustrated me as well. I love game day weekends in Auburn, but I could do without all the hassles of parking. If you asked other students, they would feel the same way.
As proud as I am to say it, Auburn was recently voted No. 1 for tailgating.
Auburn even has a new plan to make game day even better. They are planning to open up an extra 2,000 free parking spaces around campus just for game day.
How is the University able to do this for game day, when there are not even enough parking spaces for students during the week?
I realize Auburn football is important, but weekly classes and academics should be a priority.
That being said, parking plays an important role.
Students who commute or drive to campus every day should not have to worry about parking, or getting ticketed when their focus should be on getting to class.
If the University is able to open 2,000 extra spaces for game day why can't this be applied during the academic school year?
If this is not an option, then there needs to be a better system in place.
Upperclassmen in good academic standing should not be penalized.
If a better system was in place with clearer rules, I believe a great deal of hassle, complaints and confusion would be minimized.
I believe in Auburn and love it, minus the parking.
Parking is an issue that I understand will never be completely resolved, and people will always have an issue with it.
However, without making the parking tag selection process more systematic, I don't see how the situation can improve.

Share and discuss “Her view: There has to be a better way to park” on social media.