From prison to posh, Bosnia to Auburn

Maya Ozukur and her husband, Nazmi, own and operate three businesses on West Glenn Avenue. (All photos by Zach Bland / Photographer)

The first thing one notices about Maya Ozukur is the immediate greeting she bestows. She's warm, speaks through her clothes and strives to stand out. You might not know it, but something more is hiding.
Ozukur spent three months, at the age of 6, as a Bosnian war refugee, but you would never expect it from her open attitude with anyone who approaches.
Locked in a prison camp with her mother, grandmother and brother, she ate lentil soup for every meal, dealt with lice and used an open field as a bathroom.
It was essentially unlivable, Ozukur said.
Her mother was a defense attorney in Bosnia and, today, lives as constant inspirationfor overcoming the war as a single mother with two children.
During nights in the prison camp, she slept on top of her two children, knowing if anyone came by, at least they would take her first and her children would have a chance.
She learned what it was like to experience the hardest times of life at an early age.
"Once you have gone through the darkest hour, you could go through, at the end, you become fearless," Ozukur said.
'No fear' has become the expression Ozukur has lived her life by. Six is a tender age, and she retains a lot of memories that haunt her to this day. She saw her friend shot and killed in the prison camp.
Still, she refuses to let her past hold her back from her passions.
Ozukur has used her past as a catalyst and inspiration to constantly improve her own life.
At first glance, her U&I Boutique appears to be just another shopping destination in Auburn- trendy clothes, helpful employees and an easily accessible location.
She currently owns two boutiques, and will open a third location in December.
Ozukur graduated from University of South Alabama in 2008. She majored in German and, as a child, had dreams of following her mother's profession as a lawyer. She always wanted to do something to help and connect with people, a trait she attributes to learning from her mom.
But now, the boutique is more than just a store. It's her way to create bonds with the community.
"Fashion draws a crowd of people with nothing in common, and then they become best friends," Ozukur said. "I became friends with people because of the store, I care about them. I am always talking with them; what is their background, major, do they have children."
Ozukur's other source of inspiration, her husband, has helped her with all aspects of her business. Nazmi Ozukur mentors by helping Maya build relationships with her customers, something that he has done well at his own restaurants, Tropical Smoothie and Island Wing Company.
Ozukur knows a strong sense of family is the key to being successful. She jokes it's much like the family behind Auburn University.
Her family supports and inspires. After overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds, her family is committed to making a difference, no matter how small.
Ozukur's brother serves in the U.S. Army and is currently deployed.
"Whether it was one person or 100 people, he wanted to make a difference and give them a fighting chance," Ozukur said. "He wants to be the light at the end of the tunnel."
Ozukur does not keep up with the news, because she said she would rather hear good things.
She said her only connection to Bosnia is her heritage, and considers Germany to be her 'second home.'
Although her friends in Europe don't fully understand what her business is and ask if we still have dirt roads in Alabama, but they too are proud of all that she has accomplished.
Despite everything, Ozukur stays humble, and refuses to use religion or her story to encourage people to shop at her boutique.
"My story makes me bigger and better than I would be today," Ozukur said.
Ozukur has embraced "classic Southern charm." She said she is proud and grateful of the country that has allowed her to fulfill her dreams of owning her own business.
"If you come with beliefs, you can really prosper if you want to," Ozukur said.

Share and discuss “From prison to posh, Bosnia to Auburn” on social media.