How to Avoid a Boring Car Ride Over the Holidays

The question of choice for passengers and a nuisance to drivers, “are we there yet?” epitomizes the family holiday road trip. Whether visiting friends, family or heading to a vacation spot, people across the country pack up and hit the roads during the holiday season. The image of a family squished into two rows of seats filled to the top with over-packed suitcases, gifts, snacks and maybe even a pet or two is all too familiar. With hardly enough room to breathe, the car ride can be either a time to bond, break or a just a bore. Although the destination may be enough to push some people through, it can present a daunting mission for others. For those who love the company, but maybe not for 8 hours straight kind of thing, a long car ride is no holiday treat.

To all passengers in desperate need for advice to tackle this year’s family road trip, here are few ways to keep yourself in the holiday spirit and make the time pass so you don’t have the chance to ask the dreaded question,  “are we there yet?”

Podcasts

The unsung hero of car ride entertainment, podcasts are a great option to keep you sane when you’re stuck in the back seat for hours on end. Although podcasts have the impression of serving as a better lullaby than source of entertainment, if you choose the right one, they can be just as good as a TV show. Guaranteed to be a better option than staring out the window at a blurred landscape and passing car. Most podcasts are free and available for download before you hit the road. They also vary in length, giving you options on whether you’d rather have quick episodes to keep your attention or longer ones to mimic a show or movie. From comedies to mysteries, news to “how to’s”, there are options for every person and mood. Different than the obvious choice of a movie, mix it up with a podcast for this year’s car ride. 

Making your best playlist yet for the ride

What better way to get in a good mood than creating a new music playlist. Not only will this give you more entertainment for the car ride, but actually get you excited to get in the car knowing your have some of your best work as a stay-at-home DJ awaiting you. Spend some time on iTunes or Spotify leading up to your trip to compile a playlist full of new music and old jams and you’ll be set.

Packing above average snacks

Snacks being perhaps the best thing on earth are a guarantee to make any car ride a thousand times better. Whether you prefer store-bought or are in the mood to spend some time in the kitchen, food for the road will never disappoint. Although it can’t entertain you for hours, it will put on a smile on your face and give you something to look forward to.

Hopefully these tips are just what you need to survive the ride and if all else fails, a good nap will always get you through. Happy holiday road trip season to all. 

Share and discuss “How to Avoid a Boring Car Ride Over the Holidays” on social media.