How to create new tacky Christmas costumes

One of the best parts of the holiday season is by far the iconic ugly Christmas sweaters, hats, socks, etc. Since the theme has become so popular, it is easy to feel repetitive with your outfits each year.

Here are some ideas to create a unique tacky Christmas look this holiday season.

Present time

To create a little variety in your traditional tacky Christmas ensemble, dressing up like a present is both cute and simple. Start with your favorite shirt and skirt or leggings, layer wrap paper on top and secure with ribbon straps so the paper doesn’t tare. Add a bow in your hair to complete the look. Both unique and resourceful, this outfit idea is perfect for a tacky Christmas themed gathering.

Beyoncé + Christmas = Perfection

Although there are tons of Christmas sweaters out there, our favorite human has come up with her own take on the trend. This season Beyoncé has come up with a line of Christmas sweaters, sweatshirts, ornaments and more. All available on her website, the merchandise ranges from $35-$55. A breath of fresh air from the traditional tacky Christmas ensembles, Beyoncé’s line is simple and stylish, tying both the holiday spirit with trendy street wear. Paired alone or with a hairpiece and some festive leggings, this look is both comfortable and fashion forward.

Snow globe

Different from all the rest, this look will have you standing out from the crowd at your holiday party this season. However, you will have to get a little crafty first. You will need a clear plastic bag for the exterior, cotton balls as the snow and construction paper to cut out the scenery inside. By cutting the trash bag at the bottom and armholes on the side, all that is left is gluing the cotton balls and construction paper scenery to the inside. By tightening the elastic string on top, your look is fitted and complete. Different, inexpensive and homemade, this look is a great idea for your tacky Christmas outfit this year.

Bows Galore

If you’re in a time crunch, dress up as an assortment of Christmas bows and ribbons. As easy said and done, this outfit option only requires as many bows as you can find along with your favorite top and skirt combo. Using safety pins or fashion tape, attach each bow to your clothing so the underneath garments are almost completely covered. This look is quick, easy and captures the holiday spirit perfectly. 

Share and discuss “How to create new tacky Christmas costumes” on social media.