Emerge continues leadership program after successful first semester

<p>Jeff Foxworthy speaks at the kick-off event for Emerge, the comprehensive leadership program that replaced Freshman Leadership Programs, in Auburn, Ala., on Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017.</p>

Jeff Foxworthy speaks at the kick-off event for Emerge, the comprehensive leadership program that replaced Freshman Leadership Programs, in Auburn, Ala., on Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017.

Embarking on its second semester, Emerge, the freshman leadership organization reflects on its first semester and makes changes to adjust for the new semester.

After welcoming 1,022 incoming freshmen in the fall, Emerge continues its philosophy of service through leadership this coming spring.

“We are creating opportunities for students to have hands-on experience building their leadership skills,” said Lady Cox, assistant vice president for student engagement. “Upon graduation, these students will be ready to succeed.”

Morgan Jones, SAP executive officer for Emerge, said the organization brings Auburn men and women together through this service.

“We can raise a generation of leaders that strive to leave our community better than they found it,” Jones said.

Jones said each month Emerge team leaders focus on one of the organization’s six principles. The six principles include values, vision, teamwork, communication, innovation and service.

At the end of every month and close of each principle, Emerge hosts their Delta Speaker Series in the Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum. The series has hosted Eryn Erickson, the entrepreneur behind “So Worth Loving,” dean of student life at the Amazima School in Uganda Kelly Miller and college football player turned motivational speaker Inky Johnson.

Despite being hosted by Emerge, the Delta Speaker Series is open to the entire campus and the community. The spring semester lectures will take place on Feb. 8, March 8 and April 12.

In addition to the monthly principle-focused project, each team has a SOAR project that directly influences the community. These projects include providing a free school supply pop up shop for low-income students, mentoring upcoming high school juniors and seniors through the college application process and providing meals to families with hospitalized children.

“They have been planning, writing grant proposals for and contacting local schools or philanthropies to direct their service where it is needed most,” Jones said. “These projects will be coming to life throughout this spring semester, and we cannot wait to see the impact our 1,000 freshmen will make.”

“Having this organization on campus is so important because it reminds us that we’re not meant to take on this life alone,” Jones said. “Emerge inspires a spirit of community that starts freshman year and will extend into the rest of a student’s career at Auburn.”

Cox said curriculum development for year two has begun. The program will continue for freshmen but extend to programs created for sophomores and upperclassmen as well.

The new program components are expected to launch Fall 2018.

“Auburn equals leadership,” Cox said. “That’s what Emerge is all about.”

Share and discuss “Emerge continues leadership program after successful first semester” on social media.