Best hikes and outdoor activities to do near Auburn

With temperatures climbing and summer on the way, the urge to get out in the sun is higher than ever. Although a spring break spent at the beach gives you a taste of summer like no other, weekends spent outside are a great adventure break from school to keep you motivated the last couple weeks. The perfect way to enjoy the spring weather, and get in a workout at while you’re at it, is going on a hike.

Grab some friends, pack a lunch and explore some of these hikes around Auburn this spring.

Cheaha State Park

Located in Delta, Alabama, Cheaha State Park is a bit of a drive, but well worth it. The park spans over 2,799 acres and includes Cheaha Mountain, which happens to be the highest point in the state. It was established in 1933 and has been a place for picnicking, swimming, fishing and hiking ever since. The park features the Pinhoti Trail system with overlooks and observation decks all along. This hike is more strenuous, but a great day trip option for some fresh air and a change of scenery.

Chewacla State Park

Last, but not least, Chewacla State Park is always a great choice for hiking that is close to campus. Founded in 1939, this park has well-established trails for hiking and mountain biking. Covering around 696 acres the park has plenty of space to explore and spend the day. It is open from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m., perfect for a morning, midday, or evening hike. An Auburn staple, Chewacla is a bucket list item to check off during your time in town.

Swayback Bridge Trail

Located in Wetumpka, Alabama, Swayback Bridge Trail is a closer option for a day trip off campus. Perfect for biking, running and hiking, there are plenty of things to do to enjoy all that the park has to offer. The park is made up of five different trails, each ranging from 2.5 miles to 11.2 miles. They are easy to navigate and provide options, so you can assess the difficulty of each and factor in the time you have left to spend at the park. Swayback Bridge Trail is the perfect day getaway for groups and dogs too.

Red Mountain Park

A park filled with action, Red Mountain Park is the place for you if you love the outdoors. Although it is located in Birmingham, Alabama, it is a great option for a weekend or day trip. Since it opens at 7 a.m. this is a great option for visitors traveling from farther away to get an early start. Red Mountain Park covers around 1,500 acres with 15 miles of scenic trails, historic mines, zip lines, overlooks and a dog park. Sure to keep you busy the whole day, a trip to Red Mountain Park is a perfect way to stay active on a day off. 

Share and discuss “Best hikes and outdoor activities to do near Auburn” on social media.