Apartment and retail complex coming, softball team recognized

Auburn students will have another apartment complex to choose from in approximately two years.

The building will be a combination of retail and residential areas and will be on the southwest corner of Wright Street and Glenn Avenue, according to Forrest Cotten, director of city planning.

Cotten said the property will cater to students.

CA Student Living will own the property, located at 201 W. Glenn Ave. Cotten said the building will be mostly brick.

There will be storefronts on both the Glenn Avenue and Wright Street sides, according to Cotten.

Cotten said there will also be parking, with two levels underground. He said he didn't think the new building would make traffic in the area worse.

"I would think it would not exacerbate the traffic a great deal because of the walkability of where the project is," Cotten said.

Cotten said the new stores and living will help businesses downtown.

"If we want to expand downtown, if we want our businesses to be successful and expand, we have to keep bringing more people, not just down there then drive home, but to have people that live there," Cotten said. "If they live there, they're more likely to patronize those establishments on a 24/7 basis, rather than, say, on a meal hour basis."

Cotten said they originally wanted to be open by fall 2016, but he thinks the opening will be closer to fall 2017.

He said he thinks construction will begin this fall.

In other City Council news:

The City Council officially recognized and formally congratulated the Auburn softball team for their season, in which they won the SEC Tournament and competed in the Women's College World Series. Mayor Bill Ham presented coach Clint Myers and team members with a framed resolution commending their season.

Myers thanked the Council and said he was proud of his team's accomplishments.

"We were two days short and our motto for next year is 'Two more days,'" Myers said, "Because we want to be the team hoisting the trophy over our head. We know what it's like now, there are no surprises, we've been to the College World Series, and we expect to go back each and every year."

The South College Corridor District was established. This makes it easier for new businesses to develop in areas that have already been developed along South College Street, according to Cotten.

Share and discuss “Apartment and retail complex coming, softball team recognized” on social media.