Soccer victorious in home opener

Auburn soccer returned to the Plains for its home opener after a successful trip to California, where they won the first two matches of the season. The 16th-ranked Tigers faced the UAB Blazers and took the win 4-0 in shutout fashion.

Within the first five minutes was a delay in the game, after a UAB foul brought senior Haley Gerken to the ground. She was aided off the field by trainers, but made an appearance post game on crutches with her left leg wrapped. “We are optimistic with her,” said coach Karen Hoppa. “Obviously she’s going to get scanned and the medical staff will evaluate her, but I’m happy with optimism right now.”

Auburn was able to strike first in the 28th minute after an offside call on UAB allowed junior Brooke Ramsier to send a penalty kick straight into the net.

In the 38th minute, her sister Casie Ramsier sent another goal soaring into the net, giving Auburn a 2-0 lead. Auburn finished the half with a total of 12 shots, limiting UAB to two, with a successful save by redshirt freshman Sarah Le Beau in the 40th minute.

La Beau earned her first SEC Defensive Player of the Week Award last week after two shutout performances on the West Coast. She was replaced late in the second half by Alyse Scott, who recorded a save.

“Sarah is great, and to be fair Alyse Scott is great too. I’ve got two SEC level starting goalkeepers,” said Hoppa. “We’re blessed in that way at Auburn and we’ve got loads of confidence in both. I was happy to play them both tonight.”

Casie Ramsier came in hot in the 68th minute, slipping a shot in past UAB goalkeeper Kelsey Daugherty, giving Auburn the 3-0 lead. Auburn scored again in the final minute after a called handball, and senior Kala Faulkner capitalized on a penalty kick.

The win over UAB gives Auburn its first 3-0 season start since 2006. Auburn will face Furman Sunday, Aug. 30, at the Auburn Soccer Complex. First kick is set for 1 p.m. CST.

“It’s all about recovery between now and Sunday,” said Hoppa. “We’re going to look at this film and try and tune-up a little bit defensively.”

Share and discuss “Soccer victorious in home opener” on social media.