Beat Bama Food Drive partners with Parking Services

Parking services offers reward for donating cans

The Beat Bama Food Drive is the biggest food drive done for the East Alabama Food Bank. 

The two organizations teamed up in 1994 and have since raised over two million pounds of food.

This year, Beat Bama Food Drive decided to take it a step further by partnering with Parking Services.

“We want to encourage students to donate and get as many cans as possible,” said Sarah Perez, Beat Bama Food Drive president. “But we also want students to be aware of the poverty in our area.”

Perez said she thinks the partnership will push students to take the initiative and donate cans to the food drive. 

Beat Bama Food Drive, Parking Services and the Student Government Association came up with a plan to encourage more students to donate cans.

“Students will be able to earn $2 in credit off of parking tickets for every can they bring in,” said Don Andrae, Parking Services manager. “And they can earn up to $50 in credit.”

It can be difficult to park on campus during finals week. That is why Parking Services and Beat Bama Food Drive added another intiative, according to Andrae. 

“We are offering a contest to organizations,” Andrae said. “The organization that brings in the most cans will win five free A-zone parking permits.”

Andrae said the passes could be passed around from student to student.

“If you have a test Tuesday or Wednesday, you can let a friend use it Monday or Thursday,” Andrae said.

Perez said she thinks Parking Services has an undeserved negative reputation.

She said she feels this initiative will help shed a more positive light on Parking Services.

“People tend to kind of think badly of Parking Services, because they always give tickets,” Perez said. “But we are really grateful to them for helping us out with this.”

Andrae said if the ticket credit and free parking passes work, then the contest will definitely be continued in the future.

“We just want to show we do care about students and do want to help any way we can,” Andrae said.

The rivalry between Auburn University and the University of Alabama helps fuel the food drive. The fear of defeat causes students on both campuses to contribute, according to Perez.

However, for her, the food drive has never been about beating Alabama.

“When I first moved here, I wanted to feel a part of this community,” Perez said. “I learned there are 25,000 food insecure people in Lee County, and I wanted to help those people and give back.”

Beat Bama Food Drive begins Oct. 5 and ends Nov. 20.

For donation drop-off information, go to Beat Bama Food Drive's website.

Share and discuss “Beat Bama Food Drive partners with Parking Services ” on social media.