1,549 degrees awarded at two graduation ceremonies

The Auburn Arena was packed Saturday, Dec. 12, but not for a sporting event.

The crowd was there to watch 1,549 students graduate. Degrees were awarded at two ceremonies, one at 10 a.m. and another at 2 p.m. 

University President Jay Gogue formally welcomed the crowd and congratulated the candidates.

"We value your determination, your sacrifice, your discipline and your intelligence," Gogue said. "You've earned a valuable degree today that will help you in both your professional and personal lives."

Melissa Brown Herkt, 1977 Auburn graduate, was the commencement speaker. During her time at Auburn, she was the first female co-op student, and after graduation, worked with Exxon and was the first female construction manager and the first female posted overseas for the company.

"I remember being antsy to get out into the world," Herkt said. "Not so much to leave Auburn, but to the what's next."

Herkt offered advice in her speech, encouraging the graduates to look toward future goals. 

She said the professional world will be different from school, and have its advantages, though there will still be strict deadlines and new challenges.

"Work is not graded on a curve," Herkt said. "There is no partial credit for using the correct methodology but doing the math incorrectly. A decimal in the wrong place is deadly in business. Errors cost company money."

Herkt said it is possible to win in the workplace, and she said "trophies" for success include pay raises and promotions.

"Strive to make yourself indispensable in the organization that employs you," Herkt said. "It will matter when the next economic downturn comes."

Herkt encouraged the graduates not to say or think "that's not fair," but encouraged them to believe in their company's mission and to work with integrity. 

"A reputation is something we spend a lifetime earning, and it can be lost in an instant," Herkt said.

Jeffery Katz, alumni professor of psychology and master of ceremonies, sent the graduates off with a popular saying.

"Please rise, and may the Force be with you," Katz said.

Gavin Thomas, who graduated in media studies, said it felt "amazing" to be done with college.

"I'm just excited about what there is to come, what doors God is going to open for me after graduation," Thomas said. "Now we're professionals, and we're walking into the real world. Will it slap us in the face, or will we be able to slay it like a dragon?"

Hua Bian, who earned his master's in biosystems engineering, said he hopes to stay in the U.S. to work or earn a Ph.D.

"If I can find a job in U.S.A., I will fight for that, I will seek for that," Bian said. "But if I can't, I need to go back to China to study harder and then go back to U.S.A." 

Michael Mitchell retired from the Navy in 2009 and completed his electrical engineering degree in three years. He said he is happy to be done with the intense workload of 18-21 hours per semester.

"It is so good to be done, because now I don't have to do that next week," Mitchell said.

Share and discuss “1,549 degrees awarded at two graduation ceremonies” on social media.