Auburn wide receiver room looking promising during spring ball

Members of the wide receiver room line up for drills during spring practice on on February 27, 2024

The wide receiver room was a top priority for head coach Hugh Freeze after the Tigers went 6-7 last season. After losing nine receivers, Auburn’s coaching staff saw an opportunity to revamp the room with the help of recruiting and the transfer portal – gaining six new scholarship additions. 

Wide receiver coach Marcus Davis and Freeze added four recruits: Perry Thompson, Malcolm Simmons, Cam Coleman and Bryce Cain. Five-star Coleman and four-star Cain enrolled early at Auburn and have participated in spring practices.

Then, the Tigers picked up two transfers: Robert Lewis from Georgia State and Sam Jackson V from California.

“From what I’ve seen from these guys that came during the spring, they are picking it up fast,” said cornerback Champ Anthony. “A lot of them are physically ready to play, so (Auburn staff) did a really good job recruiting, so replacing guys is hard.”

Transitioning to college from high school, Coleman emphasized the importance of being coachable during spring ball. 

“You’re trying to figure things out, so you just can’t come here and do your own thing,” Coleman said. “You gotta soak information up like a sponge. You gotta take good notes in the meeting rooms and do whatever coach tells you to do.” 

Cam Coleman turns downfield during spring practice on February 27, 2024

Coleman identified senior Koy Moore, junior Camden Brown and senior Lewis as leaders within the wide receiver room. The youngster mentioned that Lewis had taken him under his wing. 

“It’s just the way he is, just the way he moves,” Coleman said. “I can’t really explain, but it’s the way he creates separation from his defenders – it’s like, wow. And I’m learning from Rob. So the things he’s doing, I’m trying to put in my game. He’s teaching the small details.”

Auburn wide receiver transfer Robert Lewis during spring practice on March 12, 2024

With the veteran players leading the freshman, Coleman emphasized that having his former high school teammate and Auburn preferred walk-on Dylan Gentry also on the Plains helps build their confidence. 

“Oh, that’s my dawg,” Coleman said. “It’s been really, really great because we’ve been trying to figure things out together – so we’re not alone. We’re just like, 'What are you doing here? Like, what would you do?' We’ll help each other study plays, and we just really get each other better.”

When asked about stand-out receivers, Jackson V, former California quarterback, identified Coleman as a “specimen.”

“He can do anything you ask him to do, and I think he’s catching on pretty quickly,” Jackson V said. “There’s obviously some things he has to learn just because he’s at a different level of the game. But you wouldn’t think Cam Coleman is in his freshman year. You’d probably think he’s in either his sophomore or junior year.”

According to Jackson V and Coleman, Lewis has already made his presence known on the field as a high-profile receiver. 

“The guy that stood out to me the most was Robert Lewis,” Jackson V said. “I think he’s our most polished receiver. He has a lot of knowledge about the game. His passion shows just how much of a leader he is to us, even from a coach’s view.”

Davis’ wide receiver room has high expectations resting on its shoulders, but the pressure is left behind when they step on the field.  

“I haven’t really thought about it too much because I’m just worried about playing ball,” Coleman said. 

Jackson V spoke to the fans’ skepticism over Auburn’s team this year – encouraging the Auburn Family of the team’s potential. 

“I think we can win it all this year. Honestly, that’s what I believe,” Jackson V said. “We got a lot of work to put in – since it’s pretty early in the year. That’s what I believe from the guys that I’ve seen from the offense and defense. It’s just looking pretty well right now.”

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn wide receiver room looking promising during spring ball” on social media.