Carlson, Tigers take another step in NCAA Tournament

The Auburn bats came alive again in Saturday’s 6-1 rout of USC Upstate. After a historic performance in last week’s SEC Tournament against the No. 1 Florida Gators, pitcher Kaylee Carlson returned to the circle Saturday and threw a complete game. Carlson gave up only one run on three hits and struck out two. She improved to 16-1 on the season.

“We did a little better job today, we had outstanding pitching in the circle. We are moving in the right direction. We are taking advantage of the oppostions mistakes. One more win, that’s what we are after,” said Auburn head coach Clint Meyers.

After leaving three stranded on base in the first inning, Auburn (51-9) came out swinging and plated two in the second inning.  Emily Carosone blasted a line drive to the left field wall that scored two. Later in that inning, Upstate catcher Abbie Millete recorded a solo home run, the only run of the afternoon for USC Upstate (43-14).

With the bases loaded in the fourth inning, SEC Player of the Year and ESPNW player of the year Kasey Cooper watched four straight balls and catcher Courtney Shea scored for the Tigers. Carlee Wallace walked with the bases still loaded, scoring another run came in for Auburn to extend the lead 4-1.

In a monster seventh inning, Haley Fagan recorded her first hit of the year during a pinch hit appearance. Fagan hit a RBI double that scored Jade Rhodes. 

“Once I got to second it definitely felt like a weight was off of my shoulders,” Fagan said.  “Now I’m going to keep going with it. It felt really good.”

Whitney Jordan followed with an RBI groundout that plated Auburn’s sixth and final run of the contest. 

“I thought the seventh inning was the best example of Auburn Softball,” said Clint Meyers.

the winner of the Jacksonville St. vs. Oregon St. matchup will face USC Upstate in game five. Auburn will have to wait for the game five victor to find out who they face off against on Sunday. The Tigers can wrap up a regional title if they win on Sunday. First pitch is set for 1:30 p.m. CST on Sunday.

Share and discuss “Carlson, Tigers take another step in NCAA Tournament” on social media.