Auburn majorettes twirl for fans during football season

Game day is Jordan-Hare is unlike any other and the Auburn University Majorettes are part of this unforgettable experience. 

For many majorettes, seeing the fans and performing on Pat-Dye Field makes the strenuous work worthwhile. 

Sierra Hopkins, sophomore in pre-early childhood development, believes it takes hard work and dedication to be an Auburn majorette.

Becoming a majorette at Auburn does not come easy, Hopkins said. Some of these girls have been working towards the collegiate level since they began twirling.

“I started twirling in third grade,” Hopkins said. “My mother and her mother both twirled when they were children, so it wasn’t something that was new to my family.”

Like many young girls, Hopkins said seeing the older majorettes perform is one reason why she dreamt of being on the field.

“Seeing the girls with the sequins perform and prance around Jordan-Hare was something that I dreamed about doing," Hopkins said. "I had been on the fence about auditioning at Auburn until attending a game my sophomore year in high school where I met one of the majorettes and saw the uniforms up close and how pretty the girls were. After that I knew that’s what I wanted to do and I wasn’t going to stop until I made the line.”

This type of ambition is common with most athletes, but with all eyes on the majorettes each weekend, these girls have to perfect each move. Majorettes at Auburn spend about 14 hours each week practicing and performing.

“I wish people knew the amount of blood, sweat, tears and time that actually went into being a majorette,” Hopkins said.

Sierra Hopkins has been twirling for 11 years.

“My parents have spent thousands of dollars on majorette fees and even more time was spent than money," Hopkins said.

All Auburn majorettes go through the same elaborate audition process. Hopkins said the day begins with a performance of basic tricks for the judges. A group routine is taught in 45 minutes and the girls have to perform the group routine in front of those same judges. 

Finally, each girl must do a solo performance in front of the judges and the general public. While this might seem like the hardest part of becoming a majorette, the real work starts when you make the line, Hopkins said.

“After making the line you are required to maintain a healthy set BMI," Hopkins said. "During preseason camp we run and do workouts to build endurance because our pregame and halftime shows are so demanding."

Like many of the band members and athletes that are involved in game day, majorettes are nothing short of busy.

“Game day for me is a wakeup call anytime from 4 a.m. to 7 a.m. with full game day hair and makeup for a trip to the Auburn University Marching Band practice field for a three-hour practice,” Hopkins said.

During these practices the pregame and halftime shows are cleaned up for performance. Before a game begins, each majorette goes through a uniform inspection. Then, each section of the band, including the majorettes go to a separate area in the stadium to practice more. 

“While many people think that all we do is pregame and halftime, we do so much more,” Hopkins said. “The band plays stand tunes throughout the entire game to hype up the fans. We do pom routines and we dance to these tunes.”

Hopkins said Auburn majorettes work hard every day to ensure game day success. 

Share and discuss “Auburn majorettes twirl for fans during football season” on social media.