Wittel Dormitory to be converted into a small hotel

The Wittel Dormitory, which sits at the corner of East Thach Avenue and South Gay Street, is currently up for sale, and the likely owners plan to convert the old private women's dorm into a hotel.

At their regular meeting on Thursday, the Auburn Planning Commission approved MHW LLC's application to use the building as a hotel.

The newly dubbed "Collegiate Hotel at Auburn" was described by the pending owners as a "boutique hotel" and will have 40 beds. The commission also approved a waiver to allow the hotel owners to construct a driveway that cuts into South Gay Street. Developers said it will make it possible for the hoteliers to provide a valet service to guests.

The building will remain relatively unchanged, but the current plan includes a new porch that wraps around to the hotel's entrance.

The application faced little opposition from the commission.

"It's a wonderful project," said Planning Commissioner Dan Bennett. "It's really important not only to the history of this community, but to our future as well."

Commissioner Charles Pick agreed.

"I'm in favor of restoring any type of historic property," he said. "I think it's important to support these type of activities."

According to the Auburn Heritage Association, the dormitory was designed in the early 1900's as a residence for professional women. To meet increasing enrollment after World War II, Wittel was designated as the first women's dorm at Auburn University, then the Alabama Polytechnic Institute.

Share and discuss “Wittel Dormitory to be converted into a small hotel” on social media.