Global students reflect on first weeks of new semester

For Kiran Bhelay and Suryansh Soni, this past week marks their first week attending the University.

Continuing the growth of the program, Auburn Global welcomed the newest members of the Auburn family from India.

Kiran Bhelay, freshman in interior design, said she joined the University this semester for its architectural program. 

“It is a well-known university in its architectural program” Bhelay said. “To be a successful person, Auburn is a great start.”

Suryansh Soni, freshman in mechanical engineering, said the engineering program was appealing. 

“Back in India…I chose to study in [the] USA but didn’t know about the University,” Soni said. “Then I got to know about Auburn University. I scrolled down through the pages and got to know that Auburn University is one of the best universities for engineering in the USA.”

Both students said they discovered Auburn for its strong presence in the academic world, however, after responding to questions regarding their favorite part about Auburn or the selling factor allowing them to leave their home country and study abroad, came down to one thing: Auburn pride.

Soni discovered just a glimpse of the Auburn Family online. 

“The most exciting thing for me was when I saw the Auburn hype video,” Soni said. “People told me that Auburn football is something at a different level, and the level of craziness and fun among people is something which I couldn’t have imagined in India.”

Bhelay said her first week on campus has been one of her favorite memories thus far.

“The most exciting thing that happened here is my meeting with [the] people of Auburn.  Meeting with people of different cultures is the best,” Bhelay said. “I enjoyed my first week a lot. Honestly, for me it was one of the best memories of my life.”

Soni said orientation week presented a good chance to meet new friends.

“When I first came here I was so anxious and nervous, but the people here are so friendly that my anxiety was gone within [a] couple of hours after getting here,” Soni said. 

Though Bhelay and Soni are living in a foreign country and attednding a new school without many familiar faces, they both agree they feel very much a part of the Auburn family.

“Yes, I am a part of the Auburn family,” Bhelay said. “I am so excited for [the] future, and I really think that Auburn can help me to make my future bright.” 

Bhelay said  Auburn Global members played a huge role in making her feel included by providing an orientation that is the “best start for every international student.”

“Sometimes I start feeling homesick when I have a lot of things and work to do, but then I talk to my friends and get relaxed,” Soni said. “This is what makes me feel like a part of the Auburn family.”

Bhelay and Soni said coming here and studying with professors and joining an academic community and its various traditions makes each student part of the Auburn family. Both Bhelay and Soni ended their interviews with a “War Eagle.”

Share and discuss “Global students reflect on first weeks of new semester” on social media.