SACNAS promotes inclusion and scientific study

The Society for Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) established the first chapter at Auburn University in January.

The student organization is led by the Auburn University Office of Special Projects and Initiatives and promotes the inclusion of people of all ethnicities in scientific programs.

“When I first heard that they were trying to create a SACNAS chapter at Auburn University, I knew I had to get involved,” said Isabella Aldana, the founding president of Auburn’s SACNAS chapter. “For me, SACNAS was an opportunity to meet new people with similar career goals and similar cultural backgrounds all while encouraging others to pursue a career in STEM.”

According to Aldana, there are currently 21 members of SACNAS in Auburn, with the majority being Chicano/Hispanic or Native American, but all students are welcome to their meetings.

“SACNAS's current goals include recruiting more members and establishing an outreach program that promotes STEM among younger students in the Auburn Community,” Aldana said. “We are hopeful that our presence on campus will inspire others to become more involved within areas of STEM.”

SACNAS has monthly meetings which will resume during the fall 2017 semester. Because Auburn’s chapter was only founded recently, Aldana said most of their meetings in the spring 2017 semester focused on deciding the goals of the organization and recruitment of new members. In the fall, Aldana said she hopes to plan events that celebrate STEM and the different cultures of SACNAS’s members.

The organization is open to both graduates and undergraduates and will provide opportunities for its members to present research each year at The National Diversity in STEM Conference, form a community of like-minded students studying scientific fields and to participate in community outreach in Auburn.

Share and discuss “SACNAS promotes inclusion and scientific study” on social media.