Auburn student named National College Democrats Vice President

Auburn University student Calvin Wilborn, senior in public administration, was recently named the vice president of National College Democrats of America.

The National College Democrats of America is a youth version of the Democratic National Committee. There are over 100,000 members throughout colleges and universities in the United States.

Wilborn has been an active member of Auburn’s chapter of College Democrats for most of his time at Auburn. In fact, his sophomore year, Wilborn was named president of ACD.

“It was an eye-opening experience into organizing on campus and the impact it has on college students,” Wilborn said . “Seeing the activism on our local campus inspired me to run for statewide president of the ACD”.

While he was president, Wilborn accomplished many tasks, one of which was expanding membership to chapters in other south Alabama universities, including University of South Alabama and Troy University. Wilborn has even had the opportunity to travel to Israel with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee on behalf of ACD.

One of the highlights for Wilborn during his time with the ACD was hosting Congresswoman Maxine Waters and Congresswoman Terri Sewell on Auburn’s campus for the ACD Convention this year. Wilborn made sure to mention how, while hard work is important, having a dedicated team committed to their values and his faith have played a major role in getting him where he is today.

“I know a growing number of liberals aren’t religious, but my faith has been my main source of motivation and inspiration in championing progressive causes,” Wilborn said.

Being a college democrat from a red state, Wilborn was extremely honored when he was named vice president of the National CDA. He was looking forward to working with students all across the country to help mobilize for the 2018 midterm elections.

“I believe the recent wins in Virginia and New Jersey are a harbinger of the exciting opportunities ahead of us to elect progressive values up and down the ballot,” Wilborn said.

When asked about an issue that he was really passionate about as an active political member, Wilborn easily answered with “voting rights.” He said how even though the Voting Rights Act has been passed, society still sees this right challenged every day.

“As an African American male born and raised in the Deep South, I grew up knowing and understand the sacrifices made by pioneers of the Civil Rights movement in order for me to have the basic right to vote,” Wilborn said.

Share and discuss “Auburn student named National College Democrats Vice President ” on social media.